What the hell is going on here?

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

What the hell is going on here?

Post by MD-2389 »

DBB has been going up and down for the past couple of hours. What's going on? Sickone playing plug and pray with the cat5 cables again? Image
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Gerbils?
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I was wondering when somebody would notice this.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

I haven't been able to visit for days. I've gotten used to this though. Eventually it'll get really old and I'll stop trying.

The people that run this thing need to get their **** together and move to the new board (and probably a new host) ASAP.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i get 503 errors at a increasing frequency of hits. ill post something and then when it sends me back to the thread i try to navigate to another thread it gives me a 503 error.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

If you were to host it yerself with 768K, would that affect everyone's speeds if most people used the on site avatar feature?
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

Most likely not if the size limit (which there is one you have to set) is kept reasonably low.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i've had 3 different road runner cnnects in 5 years, and every one of them was awesome on the download side (rated at 3 or 4k, actually got around 5k+ on the download side) but i found they were lacking on the upload and the stability. good luck with getting them to come through with 768 stable.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

503 Service Unavailable

"The server is currently unable to handle the request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server. The implication is that this is a temporary condition which will be alleviated after some delay."

aka it's a host issue, not a board issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by FuriousMojo:
<b>
The people that run this thing need to get their **** together and move to the new board (and probably a new host) ASAP.
</b> </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When can I expect this server and support that you are offering to be up and running? ASAP I hope.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Topher:
When can I expect this server and support that you are offering to be up and running? ASAP I hope.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, a smart reply I saw coming a mile away! It's simple. If the current person running (paying) this board can't handle the job, it should be handed off to someone who can. There are several people in this community that have the resources to get it done. I used to be one of them when I was running PD but Sick_one failed to answer my e-mails offering the assistance even when it was clear that he needed it. The DBB was down for a rediculous two to three weeks STRAIGHT. It's only been downhill from there. I'd say it's up about half the time I visit anymore. At any rate, I offered to help but I was ignored... oh and so were several other folks that offered (Solrazor, Tricord, etc.). That's what's behind my original "blunt" post in this thread.

Once again, there are several solutions, but nothing seems to get done. You guys have a test board up and running, this is the most I've seen yet. You're almost there! Just use resources available to you. I can think of one right off the top of my head... BlueFlames requests a dynamic box from GameSpy which would be FREE and SPEEDY. Tricord's old PD ran off of it and it was fast as a rabbit ****ing because hardly any other sites ran off of it.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

And before I get flamed all over the place, Sick_one's contributions to the board definitely do not go unnoticed. His time and money spent are greatly appreciated by the community. I think everyone's willingness to hang around even through the problematic times is evidence of that.

It's just that he is a very busy guy. If someone doesn't have time to check e-mail, then it should be handed it over to someone that does have time (perhaps one of the other admins - Xciter, Topher, etc.) This is exactly why I handed over PD. I was barely able to check e-mail let alone update files on a regular basis. Thus, I handed it over so the site wouldn't go to chit.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

MyDoom?
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

How much Space/Bandwith do you need for this BB? I know low people in high places Image
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by FuriousMojo:
The DBB was down for a rediculous two to three weeks STRAIGHT.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm pretty sure that was the DNS changing. The DBB was up, you just needed to edit your host file.

<b>
It's only been downhill from there. I'd say it's up about half the time I visit anymore. At any rate, I offered to help but I was ignored... oh and so were several other folks that offered (Solrazor, Tricord, etc.). That's what's behind my original "blunt" post in this thread.
</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's very easy to "offer" support, be turned down and then complain how you could have fixed everything. No one has yet to come forward offering the needed resources and support to host the site and we're not accepting offers because what we have works for the most part. Yes, we would like to upgrade to phpBB, no we don't see a reason to uproot and change hosts (think of all the down time, *gasp*!)

<b>
Once again, there are several solutions, but nothing seems to get done. You guys have a test board up and running, this is the most I've seen yet. You're almost there! Just use resources available to you.
</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
:'(
<b>
I can think of one right off the top of my head... BlueFlames requests a dynamic box from GameSpy which would be FREE and SPEEDY. Tricord's old PD ran off of it and it was fast as a rabbit ****ing because hardly any other sites ran off of it.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing to do with speed, everything to do with bandwidth...
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Not trying to add fuel to the flames but I've probably lost about a dozen posts in the last week. As someone who doesn't post merely to increase my postcount, that's frustrating. I think it's time to sh*tcan the host. Their service is obviously not very reliable.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Toasted the Testing Zone I see...
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Ahhh!!! Not my favorite forum!!! Image
R e v
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by R e v »

Ah, he's working 100+ a week... sheesh... I work 80 typically, and that's about my limit.

I too have emailed him and offered to host the site. My only request was to not use UBB. Offer still stands. Image
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

How can 50 people on an archaic BB be exceeding server capacities? Is this thing running DOS 3 on an 8086?
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

100 hours a week? 80 hours a week?

Is *everyone* in the USA fcuking insane? That's slave labour - I don't care how much money is involved.

Thank God I do my 37.5 hours and that's it. Here in NZ we work to live - and the US "live to work" attitude sucks.

If a job can't be done in 40 hours then it is TWO jobs, requiring TWO people. Or more. Crazy muthafathers!
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Americans are by far the most overworked population in the westernized world, strictly according to statistics. Were not exactly payed the worst, but then again...
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Heh Mobi... I work 0 hours per week, and I get paid fairly well (enough to pay the rent and bills and food, and still save some.) Next year I'll work 10 hours a week and get paid almost twice as much...

37.5 hours a week? They must be slavedrivers in New Zeland Image
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

what do you do Lothar? consulting?
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

1.5 gb of space O_O ? wow probably the database is totaly messed?
even a long used bb like the dbb shouldn use more then 100, probably 200 mb of space max.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

no, I'm a grad student. (I suppose I forgot to mention all the hours I spend in class... but those are fun, so they don't count Image )