Time zones, daylight savings, etc.

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Time zones, daylight savings, etc.

Post by Jeff250 »

I was wondering if we could adopt more of a time-zone-based support (instead of GMZ offsets) so that the DBB could adjust itself accordingly to those time zones who follow daylight savings? Right now everything is an hour off, and, sure, I could fix it, but why when I can rant? 8)
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

What do you think this is, Windows? :-P
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

phpBB doesn't have support for DST. Technically your GMT offset changes when DST comes into effect, because GMT itself does not change when DST rolls around.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Topher wrote:What do you think this is, Windows? :-P
lol! Maybe we shoulda gone with aspBB :P

But I guess for practicality's sake, all one would really need is a check box in one's profile for daylight savings and have it adjust accordingly.

I noticed that the php date() function can return a boolean-style value telling whether or not DST should be in effect, but no way of automatically adding it in, without some additional server-side scripting of course.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Um, I think PHP has "support" for DST on Windows, because Windows alters the system clock when DST rolls around. I'm sure if one were running a daemon that did the same thing on Linux, PHP would "support" DST on that platform as well. Linux doesn't do that automatically though, as a number of *nix machines traditionally have their system clocks set to UTC or run daemons that coordinate the time with government servers.