"next newest topic" reversed...

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

"next newest topic" reversed...

Post by Lothar »

I don't know if this bugs anyone else, but at the top of each thread, there are links to the "next newest topic" and "next oldest topic". They're reversed from what they should be.

"Next newest" means "not quite as new as this one" and therefore should take you to the topic that's slightly less recent ("this is my newest car, from 2004. This is my next newest, from 2001.") Similarly, "next oldest" means "not quite as old as this one" and therefore should take you to the topic that's slightly more recent ("this is my oldest bottle of wine, from 1932. This is my next oldest, from 1944.") But instead, "next newest" takes you to the newer topic, and "next oldest" takes you to the older topic.

Can we reverse the links? Or, if people object to that (say, if most people just read that as "newer" and "older") can we reword them somehow? Maybe just text that says "next topic:" and then "newer" and "older" links would work...
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

I think the wording sucks in general, but I also think your definition of next newest and next oldest is reading too much into it.

Next newest means next topic that's newer than the current topic. Case in point, this one is the newest one (at the top of the listing) of this forum, therefore if I hit next newest nothing will happen as there are no newer threads. However next oldest means next thread that's older than the current one, so it goes down the list.

I dunno, I don't really use those links, but I do know what they mean. Perhaps next newer/older as opposed to newest/oldest would make more grammatical sense.