Question regarding the phpBB system

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Question regarding the phpBB system

Post by Lobber »

Hi all, I am not a webmaster or administrator of any forums, however, a friend of mine runs one for a guild in a game I used to play. This is the problem he's having:

When a person browsing this forum see's multiple threads with the UNREAD tag, and he goes to view his private messages, then returns to the board, all of the UNREAD tags revert to READ tags.

How do you fix this?

Here's a quote from the question he asks on his own board, but no one there had the answer:
Qasim wrote:This just happened to me again today...

If you visit the boards at all. It will update your "read/unread" flags for all messages to "read".

This means that when I clicked on the email link to load up my Private Message this morning, it counted me as visiting and even though I didn't look through the rest of the boards. It updated all the "unread" flags on my visit this afternoon to only show new messages since this morning.

I'm not certain how to correct this behavior. I have looked though the board settings and I don't see anything that would work. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Q

P.S. - Its best to rely on the "last post" column for viewing new messages.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Whenever you visit any of the phpbb pages, it counts it as a visit. The PM pages aren't any different.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

But when you navigate between different forums the "unread topics" flag doesn't go away. Apparently leaving the forums list, thread list, or actual thread pages triggers a reset of the flags.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Its a problem with the browser cookies.