Random Board Freezes?

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Random Board Freezes?

Post by Top Gun »

Has anyone else had the forums suddenly stop responding over the past few days? It's happened to me on several occasions recently. I'll get through one or two forums fine, and then it'll stop all of a sudden. It'll sometimes stay like this even after closing out and attempting to reload the site.
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

Yes, I've had it grind to a screaching halt and when I quit and try to reboot Mozilla can't find it.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Random hold ups have been common for me for about the past several months. Ive always attributed them to the DBB's host because if I try to access other websites during the downtime, they always work fine.

I'm currently using Firefox 1.0
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

Just happened to me. Went to Cafe, Ethics and Tech, clicked on one or two posts in each. All's fine. Clicked on Multiplayer and nothing happened. Stopped it, tried again, stopped it, clicked reload. Nothing. Rebooted Mozilla and it works but it's slow.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Probably not. I'm using Firefox, but I've been using it for a few months, and this problem only started a few days ago.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Xciter wrote:I can't say that I've seen it... and I check the board a lot... but if it gets bad let me know.
I find it almost funny that all of the issues this board has happens to everyone except you. We're not hallucinating when we see that the board is displaying errors or taking 30 minutes to finally load, like Krom just said a minute ago. You're going to have to take our word for it. :o

-----

The seizes have been pretty frequent for me. As of late they seem to be getting worse.
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

Don't think so, Jim. The times that Mozilla couldn't find it I tried IE6 and it wouldn't work either.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

It is very intermittent. I just ran through the whole board without a problem, but I've had it happen after getting through only half of the Cafe.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Same thing as DM, running IE6.. Persistent over the last few weeks, can't nail it to a trigger tho.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I'm using firefox
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

It happens for me too, though its very brief. Are there any intensive java applications running on the server? That was the cause of a very similar issue on another board I frequent, which would cause random timeouts.

As for browsers, theres no way that could be it since by default Mozilla/FF's timeout limits are longer than IE's. Furthermore, phpBB follows spec (as far as I know) so by default it will run the same regardless of the browser.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

my magical internoot is having no problems with the DBB. nothing outof the ordinary anyway.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

It happens here sometimes, almost along the same lines as the previous issue the DBB was having with slow loading times or complete timeout. However it isn't happening as frequently as those issues were. Not to the point where I'd complain about it.

The DBB has seemed pretty solid since that whole mess was addressed.
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

Only problem I've had was this morning. Was able to see the "recent threads" list, but couldn't actually view any of them. But then again, the network here at work was seeming in a pretty sorry state, so could've been that. (Wouldn't put it past our proxy server to make up that sites aren't responding. ;))
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

Just had it happen to me. It blew my IP address out and disconnected me from my local LAN. Re-booting the PC did not help but resetting the router did the trick. Don't know if its related or just an old router (3 years on a linksys) that is going belly up shortly.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Cuda68-2 wrote:Just had it happen to me. It blew my IP address out and disconnected me from my local LAN. Re-booting the PC did not help but resetting the router did the trick. Don't know if its related or just an old router (3 years on a linksys) that is going belly up shortly.
That is not a problem with the DBB, that is a problem on your end.
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

sorry if I'm being t3h n00b here, but I got this error today (approximately 10:45 AM EST):

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@descentbb.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

//////////////

if this isn't useful, sorry for cluttering.

-H
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Looks like they're at it again. This board has frozen atleast twice today. Both times while I was in the middle of making a post. I know its not my end since I can load other sites just fine while this happens.