Text Size Bug

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

SSC BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Text Size Bug

Post by SSC BlueFlames »

Two closely related bugs, really...

First off, most of the text in posts and the forum indices does not conform to the browser size settings. I've always had it set to "smaller" since quite a few websites I browse, including the DBB, use an absurdly huge font size. Just to be sure the font size didn't get raised across the board, I rotated through the size settings, and the text did not change at all.

Also, in posts with quotes in them, the body of the quote and the following text (up until the next reply) is affected by the browser size settings.

I'm browsing with IE 6.0 SP1 with all the scads of security updates Microsoft has made available.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

IE is busted in that regard.

seems its inable to properly scale fonts if the size is specified as an absolute value.

Use any other browser, they handle font sizes better anyway.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Well you can blame me for the second bit. I put a </span> tag before the thing for the quotes since it was buggy otherwise and forgot to test it.

But then again you can only blame yourself for not going to the test BB and telling us then. ;)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Yeah, I had a bug thread there for how long now? ;) And you can't complain cuz the test site has been known about for some time as its existance was leaked out, and later when Nitro posted a topic with a link to it. ;)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

It has to do with the use of CSS, I think. &nbsp;I've encountered the same thing in a site I'm working on.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:It has to do with the use of CSS, I think. &nbsp;I've encountered the same thing in a site I'm working on.
It is. IE doesn't read it properly (suprise, suprise) for some people. (IE6 SP1 does, atleast on my end)
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Anyway, the bit about the text after the quote box being different can be fixed by putting " <span class="postbody"> " in the BBcode template file at the end of the quote thingie.
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

Similar problems with Mozilla 6 here. Text on the DBB is definately larger then most pages. Uglier too :)

Is the DBB specifying a font somewhere? Please, just let the DBB font be whatever the browser default is, or at least just go back to the same font the UBB version used.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

It's workin fine for me, same size and style as the old DBB.

NO don't do default browser font, a not-english font I downloaded somehow got set to the default, but it's not showing up as the default in the browser preferences, so I can't fix it.
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

Sounds like a bug with your browser. Contact whoever made it, or switch to a better one.

It drives me nuts that a website i visit as often as this one is always in a different font then everything else on my system.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Those of you having font size issues are in the minority. The new phpDBB shows the same font and font size in both IE 6 w/ updates and Mozilla 1.6 that the old DBB did. Even on the test DBB it was exactly the same even though a couple people were complaining.

Obviously sans the bug in IE most of the problems you guys are having are on YOUR end :P
SSC BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SSC BlueFlames »

Tyr, do you browse with your font size set to "medium" or something else? If it's been set to medium the whole time, of course it looks the same. Try rotating through the size options and see if anything changes. Quoted text will scale properly, as I described earlier, but most everything else will stay the same.

As for the inane "get a better browser" response, I'd just like to offer you the opportunity to bite my round, hairy ass. I don't care who it was directed at or why it was made, nobody should have to download a redundant piece of software that they don't want to use in order to browse a single website.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Tyr is right dude. Its not an issue with any browser other than ie, and its not an issue with this board.

Image - Test site (same size as here)

Image - Old DBB

Both screenshots were taken with Mozilla 1.6 with zoom set at 100% (a.k.a. medium in IE). I confirmed those results on my end using IE 6 SP1 (much as I hated opening that security hole called a browser). Whatever problem you're having, its on YOUR end. Clear your cache, repair your font folder and see if it persists.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

The only difference between this BB and the old one is that the old one used font tags (deprecated), here we use CSS. IE let you change the size of text when it's set with font tags, but not when you set the size px wise with CSS. I don't know about the old DBB implementation but you probably had some sort of different default font then or something.
SSC BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SSC BlueFlames »

Both screenshots were taken with Mozilla 1.6 with zoom set at 100% (a.k.a. medium in IE).
The problem arises when setting it to something smaller/larger. Medium is going to appear the same since it's not scaling the font at all.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Well talk to Topher, and tell him to change the font setting from px to points to see if that changes it. Or talk to MD and tell him to change it on the test board and look there.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

ok, I've made the changes on the test site. See if its too your liking.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Yeah for some reason if you define any text size at all in CSS, IE forces that attribute regardless of the Text Size menu option. Quite annoying.

Mozilla's Text Zoom feature works differently. Apparently what IE's Text Size feature does is simply increase the font size of every element of the DOM, whereas Mozilla actually zooms the text by a percentage.
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

Do we have a sample of the old pages available anywhere? To test how browsers respond to the different pages differently?
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I just noticed this bug yesterday. It only resizes one post to the new text size.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

MD-2389 wrote:ok, I've made the changes on the test site. See if its too your liking.
You know, an answer would be nice considering I'm nuking the test site tomorrow.... :roll:
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

help the lazy and post the link.
SSC BlueFlames
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SSC BlueFlames »

Didn't seem like you actually changed anything, MD. The test site behaves exactly the same.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

SSC BlueFlames wrote:Didn't seem like you actually changed anything, MD. The test site behaves exactly the same.
Alright, I'll try it again....

flip: If they don't know where the test site is by now, then thats tough ★■◆● for them. Its easy enough to find on here since the thread was posted about it in the Cafe in plain sight.
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

How are we supposed to test it if we don't know where it is?

The only link I could find that seemed right was http://www.fragwerkz.com/dbb/ , but the colors are way off. The fonts look really excellent tho.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

GehRehmee wrote:How are we supposed to test it if we don't know where it is?
Its called using the search feature.
The only link I could find that seemed right was http://www.fragwerkz.com/dbb/ , but the colors are way off. The fonts look really excellent tho.
Thats because I changed the default theme to keep from infringing on a certain copyright. If you want to see the DBB theme over there, register, login, go into your profile and set Descent BB as your default profile.
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

MD-2389 wrote:
GehRehmee wrote:How are we supposed to test it if we don't know where it is?
Its called using the search feature.
Ack. We have a working search feature again!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

GehRehmee wrote:Ack. We have a working search feature again!
Actually, it did work on the old UBB board for the last couple months, but you had to be willing to play with it a little. As far as I know, everything on this board works the way its supposed to.

btw, I do want to apologize for being so snappy at everyone lately. I've been a little under the weather (still am a little bit actually) and I'm doped up on anti-hystamine trying to get this ★■◆● out of my system so if I seem a little on edge, don't take it personally.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

This is probably a little late, but no, I view the text size as smaller in IE and 100% (Original Size) in Mozilla which as MD said is equal to medium in IE and nothing has changed from the old BB to the new BB on my end at all.

The only thing that seems smaller to me is the quotes but that is hardly enough for me to complain about it and is obviously something to do with how the phpBB renders quotes compared to how the old BB did it. Hardly enough change for me to say anything and the only reason I bring it up now is because it is the only thing that seems different here.

Other then that, everything else is groovy. My only beef with this board is no HTML, no sigs, the asinine profanity filter & not atleast being allowed 80x80 avatars over the standard 64x64 we've had for so long. However it isn't my call so oh well.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Tyranny wrote:This is probably a little late, but no, I view the text size as smaller in IE and 100% (Original Size) in Mozilla which as MD said is equal to medium in IE and nothing has changed from the old BB to the new BB on my end at all.
Hell, every station I've looked at displays the text just fine so I'll have no way to know whether or not its "fixed".
The only thing that seems smaller to me is the quotes but that is hardly enough for me to complain about it and is obviously something to do with how the phpBB renders quotes compared to how the old BB did it. Hardly enough change for me to say anything and the only reason I bring it up now is because it is the only thing that seems different here.
Actually, that can be changed in the CSS file.
Other then that, everything else is groovy. My only beef with this board is no HTML,
Well, HTML is off for a reason. ;)
no sigs,
Thats just a simple change in the admin panel. ;)
the asinine profanity filter
Yeah, I feel its a bit overkill, but I'm not the one in control so.... ;)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Xciter wrote:
Yeah, I feel its a bit overkill, but I'm not the one in control so....
How do you feel it's overkill when it hasn't changed at all from the old board? Same words are being filtered.
Its not the words being censored that I feel is overkill, its how its done. Its censoring legitimate words.

For example, if I type in assume (assuming that every swear is like *swear* in the word censor fields) it'll render *** instead of assume.