JD Edwards Tool Set?

For all coding issues - MODers and programmers, HTML and more.

Moderators: Jeff250, fliptw

Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

JD Edwards Tool Set?

Post by Sedwick »

In my job search, I've been approached by a company that is interested in me joining their development efforts using the JD Edwards Tool Set. Has anyone worked with this, or interacted with anyone who has, and can give an opinion about it? Thanks...
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I haven't heard of it.

From my experience though, tools are just tools. What really determines whether or not you will enjoy working as a developer at a particular company is two-fold:

- Type of work you'll be doing (e.g. I've found that I enjoy application development much more than web stuff / reports)

- Size of the company / department (more training and structure in the big companies, but it's hard to get noticed for your work, and there's always so much 'red tape' with change-request processes, etc.) vs. (more freedom in the smaller companies, but less support, kind of sink-or-swim)

If it looks good and pays decent, go for it; just keep your eyes open for other opportunities. I personally went through three different workplaces before I finally found my current one (where I plan to stay, because I love the work here).
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Oh and I'm sure the location has NOTHING to do with it. :P
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

AlphaDoG wrote:Oh and I'm sure the location has NOTHING to do with it. :P
Yeah, that is an important criterion! This particular job has a very doable location. My concern with this position is I'm not sure I'd be working in the kind of development platform I know I enjoy like, say, .NET. It sounds like something meant to simplify the software development process, and I'm not sure how much fun I'd have with that, being the kind of person who likes figuring out how to piece stuff together to form a solution. But in a way, I'd still be doing that, and like a recent .NET Rocks! guest said, no one's ever going to completely simplify coding out of software development. I'd still be (if I'm understanding it right) logically deducing which elements of the tool set to piece together, plus I'd be more involved with the requirements gathering and design phases and understanding of the business processes, something I didn't get much of in my last job. I guess I'll keep myself open to the opportunity, just in case the benefits do come out ahead. This job search ain't over until the offers are on the table, and if I'm truly serious about .NET development, I'll get my ass in gear and study. By the time I'm more of an expert and had a couple years' experience in this kind of role, I'll just be that much stronger and more marketable.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Most of the stuff where coding is being gradually removed is in fairly repeatable and often repetitive tasks - such as report generation, data conversion, and to some extent UI design. It can't really replace everything because there are things you just can't simplify much past code.

Actually, even areas where code could be hidden away from the developer... don't always do that, because tools are not always that mature, depending on the field.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

we use jde and i hate it. support is horrable