Diedel: D2X Update?

For all coding issues - MODers and programmers, HTML and more.

Moderators: Jeff250, fliptw

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Any news?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Fixed some minor bugs, like D2X crashing (again) when reloading save games a lot (this somehow got back in when I d/l-ed the newest source from icculus.org), and message boxed having no text. I also probably encountered the bug crashing D2X right before the pilot selection screen, but it seemed SDL related and rather strange - I couldn't fix it.

Ppl having that problem might want to try the -bpp parameter in d2x.ini and set it to their desktop color depth.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Any chance of fixing the problem with users not being able to use the twist on their sticks unless they use a premade pilot?
MehYam
DBB Head Flapper
DBB Head Flapper

Post by MehYam »

BTW, a huge thanks for putting this together. I'm having hella fun running through all the single player missions on Insane. Although this time it truly is insane... reflexes getting old.

Anyway, in case nobody's reported it or not seen it on their systems, the two biggest bugs that interfere are the menu text not showing up correctly (i.e. in key/joy config), and the screen size changing after certain menus (like the guide-bot menu). Prolly old news, but just in case.

Thanks again, Die, this is awesome!

edit: I actually was able to set the twist on the stick, although I had to guess at where I was in the menu because of the aforementioned text problems. Is the joystick axis affecting everyone, or just USB sticks or something?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

oh that problem was discussed weeks ago kai, possibly months ago.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

speaking of updates. Diedel, can you fix the static effect bug from the sounds? and the extra model bug(s)?

and uhhh... keep up the good work
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

No, I probably can't. :)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Alright -- finally I dug up my D2 backup disk (left the originals in DE :)) and installed d2x-gl:

d2x-gl.exe 696.320 .a.. 2004-07-28 1:03:44

Well, can't play it tho, the menus for joystick and keybord setup are blank.. Any idea ? Tried full screen & window modes, same thing. And Ferno, don't tell me it was discussed months ago -- I went through the 6 pages thread.. ;) Maybe someone could just post a solution ?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

What about my current d2x-gl version?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Let me rephrase: I downloaded the above mentioned version yesterday from your site. Blank joystick and keyboard setup menu pages --> can't set up my joystick :(

Edit: "d2x-gl.exe - 0 error(s), 583 warning(s)" Does that sound about right ? Let's see what this machine thinks about it.. :)

Edit2: must be in kconfig()..
MehYam
DBB Head Flapper
DBB Head Flapper

Post by MehYam »

You can set the config like a blind man, using the keyboard commands to navigate to the right field, hit <enter>, etc... took a minute, but once it worked I backed up that mofo .plr file. ;)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Hehe, will try that :)

Diedel, I walked a bit trough the code -- my respect for trying to fix stuff in there !

Regarding this problem, it looks like the Joystick and Keyboard setup menus are sort of left overs from the former menu system, ie. they don't use newmenu_...() (gee, what a routine) but kconfig() instead. The basic difference seems to be how they finally use the OGL system to get the text on the screen, newmenu_..() uses arch\ogl\ogl.c::ogl_ubitblt_i() vs kconfig() using arch\ogl\ogl.c::ogl_ubitmapm_c(). The latter may leave something messed up after the 1st call (the title gets drawn, after that the software goes through the motions to draw the text but it just doesn't show on screen..)

Edit: here we go -- to fix it

insert

Code: Select all

glDisable (GL_DEPTH_TEST);
in line 1073 of arch\ogl\ogl.c::ogl_ubitmapm_c() (just before glBegin(GL_QUADS); ) and

Code: Select all

glEnable (GL_DEPTH_TEST);
in line 1084 of arch\ogl\ogl.c::ogl_ubitmapm_c() (just after glEnd(); )
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Hm, it's just a quick fix -- now the setup information draws on top of the old text if you change something.. But hey, at least you can read it. There's always ESC and comming back :)

People following this threat can load the "fixed" executable here until Diedel puts up the latest version.
MehYam
DBB Head Flapper
DBB Head Flapper

Post by MehYam »

shaweeet
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

gren knows code?

cool!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The whole D2X source is a complete mess, and every new revision gets worse. That stuff had all worked fine with my previous D2X version, but when I integrated my bug fixes into the current one, things got fouled up bad. To many amateurs messing with the D2X code ... :cry:
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

diff and rcsdiff are your friends.. ;)
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

yes, they are.

so are CVS/SVN.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

SVN > CVS. If fricken Red Hat would put out an updated Fedora Core 1 RPM, that is. :roll:
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Diedel, Can you fix the bug when you load a level that deletes its custom textures such as "PyroBall" when you go to cockpit mode.

also fix the Invisible(not cloaked) Compact Lifter Vertigo Bot(Purple Pincher) bug.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Diedel please Respond!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Meet me on http://www.descentforum.de/forum in the future. I am outta here - too many trolls, even among the mods. :wink:
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Diedel wrote:Meet me on http://www.descentforum.de/forum in the future. I am outta here - too many trolls, even among the mods. :wink:
don't let the door hit you on the way out.