Web hosts and outgoing socket connections

For all coding issues - MODers and programmers, HTML and more.

Moderators: Jeff250, fliptw

aldel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Web hosts and outgoing socket connections

Post by aldel »

So, I was about to sign up for a "Deluxe CGI" hosting account with Go Daddy, when I discovered that they don't allow CGI scripts (or any program, I think) to create outgoing socket connections. This kinda makes sense, since allowing it would mean anyone with $10 (or a stolen credit card) could get instant access to a perfectly set up Linux server with a really fast connection-- perfect for spammers and other annoying people.

This is a problem because I was thinking of using PayPal's Instant Payment Notification feature to sell downloads of my game (which will need beta testers soon, yes). IPN allows the notified server to call back the PayPal server on a separate connection to verify the payment, just in case the original notification from PayPal was spoofed. This obviously requires the notified server to make an outgoing connection.

So, is the no-outgoing-connections restriction common among hosting services? Are there any big, reliable, well-supported, cheap hosting services that do allow it?
aldel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by aldel »

I guess everyone's as clueless as me.

In case anyone cares, I think the answer is that most hosts allow outgoing connections, and it doesn't occur to them to mention it because it's just assumed. DreamHost, at least, seems to allow it.