Descent 3 and Windows Vista

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Insurrectionist »

I have Vista Home Premium 64bit. The last time I played was after I built the machine ran fine except over packets. Seem weird that others are having problems. As to the problem I have no clue if these fine gentlemen have not been able to help.
Bonzer
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Bonzer »

I'd look at the McAfee again to make sure... AV software is nothing but a headache, aside from when it's saving your computer. It may be blocking connections to/from Descent 3. Did you turn the McAfee firewall entirely off? I had similar issues with Norton AV on a previous computer.

I'm running Vista Business with Avast! now, though, and no problems, as the folks who blasted me to pieces in Skybox over the weekend can attest.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I have no problems with Vista, either (both Home Basic x86 and Ultimate x64 work fine for me when playing and hosting games). So the problem isn't Vista.

I'd second the suggestion above that you check the AV software to see if it's being blocked.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah, sounds like McAfee firewall is probably blocking it.

But if that isn't it, its also possible you have multiple active TCP/IP adapters in the system and D3 is using the wrong one. Force D3 to bind to the correct LAN IP address using the -useip command line option and see if it helps.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

Nothing has worked. I've tried every trick mentioned in this thread and more. I'm really sick of Windows Pissta now.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Red_5, the problem is not the Vista OS, or any 32/64-bit compatibility issue.

I know a number of people who play and/or host D3 games on Vista (both 32-bit and 64-bit), and none of them has had that issue. I have no issues with Vista x86 or Vista x64 on any of my machines, either.

I highly suggest re-re-checking all your firewall, AV, and network settings.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

You have no idea how many times I've done that. I'm 105% positive the problem is with this piece of crap OS.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

When you did the -useip *.*.*.* comand line, you did put your computers proper LAN IP behind it right? Also is the machine on the same subnet as the others? And even though it shouldn't matter are all the computers in the same workgroup? Do other multiplayer LAN games work?

Problems like these are most often caused by stupid little things. Like your firewall is actually blocking it, or D3 has the -nonetwork command line, or D3 is using the wrong IP, or the computer is on the wrong subnet, etc. So that is why when something doesn't work right, its always best to check for all the dumbest possible causes first.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Insurrectionist »

Red_5 wrote:You have no idea how many times I've done that. I'm 105% positive the problem is with this piece of crap OS.
I did have the same problem trying to connect to some servers. when I had a linksys router. I know it was the router when I disconnected the router and connected straight my cable modem and was then able to connect. I have since replaced my router. Try connecting that way.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

I give up... XP laptops can connect on my network just fine...

Halo won't connect, Jedi Academy will connect, Sauerbraten will connect, Need For Speed HP2 won't connect, blah blah whine whine...