Which is easier, DXX or D2X-XL?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Ktulu
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Which is easier, DXX or D2X-XL?

Post by Ktulu »

Just an old time forever noob here. I want to get Descent running on an XP box and want to know which is easier to get up and running. DXX or D2X-XL? :?
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

DXX is pretty simple, download it, copy a few files from D1/D2, and run it. Most of the settings you need to change are simple in-game settings (like screen resolution and control configurations). It doesn't support anywhere near as much stuff as D2X-XL but on the other hand that makes it easy to configure and use the first time.
Ktulu
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Ktulu »

Thanx Krom. That's pretty much what I want to know. I have been reading alot about D2X-XL and I don't really need all the bells and whistles it offers. I just want to get Descent & D2 running on my XP box. :D
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I actually find it easier to just copy the contents of the folder in the zip file to my root descent directory.

I've taken the liberty of uploading my configuration file for d2x rebirth. I've enabled a few features that enhance the graphics a little.

http://www.bakercountyonline.com/md-2389/d2x.ini

You can edit this file in notepad if you wish. To enable a feature, remove the semicolon in-front of the command. To disable a command, type a semicolon in-front of the command.
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

Hey Ktulu, what's going on man. Stop by the MS site one day and say hello. I'm still playing games; just not Descent these days but I'm waiting to jump all over Core Decision.