"Cable/DSL Firewall Routers" -- which one?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

aldel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

"Cable/DSL Firewall Routers" -- which one?

Post by aldel »

I want to get one of these little boxes that lets you share an Internet connection and acts as a firewall. I don't need it to be wireless. I could learn everything I need to know, I guess, but it's easier just to ask around for recommendations. :D

I doubt if I'll ever have more than three or four computers hooked up at once. I want to be able to share files between them without any security risk from the outside. (I'll probably make everything require a password, but still, these are Windows machines.) Security is my highest priority.

I haven't been playing online games lately, but I'd like to keep the option open. I had a cheap Hawking router for a couple days a few years ago, but it added about 300 milliseconds to the ping, which I thought was pretty sad considering that going through a Windows ME box with Internet Connection Sharing turned on added almost nothing. So being fast (both latency and throughput) would be nice too.

Here's some products I'm considering:

Linksys BEFSX41
Linksys BEFSR41
D-Link DI-604
Netgear RP614NA

They all sound pretty similar from the descriptions, except the more expensive Linksys one has special features for VPNs, and some of the comments make it sound like it might be a more secure firewall. I don't think I need the VPN features; I do use a VPN for work, but I think the software I use will work through the other routers. If the firewall is more secure I'd be willing to pay the extra money for that, but I have a feeling they're about the same. So that's probably my biggest question, since I'm pretty clueless about firewall features.

A search turned up this thread in which most people seem to agree the BEFSR41 (the cheaper Linksys) is a good product. I think I saw it for $35 at Best Buy, but that may have been a sale that's ended by now.

So, any recommendations?
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

I wub my little Billion BIPAC 5100 (ADSL). It's cheap, simple and gets the job done.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

get the befsr41.

if anyone on this board has a router, its either that, a befsr11, or a seperate computer.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I have a befsr41.
Wolf on Air
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Wolf on Air »

I hear good things about the BEFSR41, but I don't have any personal experience with one. I run a separate computer with OpenBSD on (the most secure operating system for x86, in addition to having perhaps the best firewall ever. Check out my ruleset.)

Please note that a "hardware" firewall isn't necessarily safer just because it's in a nice little plastic box - it's still software running on a small computer, equally prone to software exploits and bugs as software running on a "big" computer. I'd take OpenBSD over any hardware black-box solution, personally...
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Definitely the BEFSR41
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

I had a d-link router once, and it really wasn't very good at all. Right now I'm using a PC as a router.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

BEFSR41 here also
aldel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by aldel »

Thanks, everyone. It's nice to have clueful people around who are willing to answer questions like this. I guess it's pretty unanimous (except LSD's ADSL modem, which wouldn't work too well with my cable connection).

I know being "hardware" doesn't make it better, but because of the way my new condo is set up I want a small, quiet box I can easily hide, not a whole PC. Not to mention that setting up a BSD or Linux installation would take work, so I'd probably just use my old Windows 95 machine without changing anything, and then I'd always be worrying about it.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

I've had bad experiences with a linksys, but maybe I just got a rotten apple, or else I was asking too much from it (DHCP server and router for a small corporate LAN instead of home use).
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Linksys BEFSX41
Linksys BEFSR41

Ive got both, I'm using the x41 as a router and the r41 as a switch, gotta love the stateful packet inspection on the x41
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Krom wrote:I have a befsr41.
me too and I'm very happy with mine :D
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Another vote here from me for the BEFSR41. I've had one of these boxes for about 5 years now and I haven't had a single problem with it. The X41 supports VPN access and a bunch of features you probably aren't going to use. Linksys provides continuning updates to the router firmware and they've also revised the BEFSR41 several times since I got mine.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

the x has a better firewall (SPI)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

If you need a DSL modem as well, get a Zoom X5
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

BEFSR41 version 2 (pre-Cisco buyout) here. My friend has a BEFSR41 version 3 (with Cisco logo on it) and it drops the connection whenever transmitting a file over 1mb -- or at least it did for a while, and it doesn't do that anymore. It's a known issue with the version 3's.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Linksys
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

I've got a couple of SX41s, as well. :) Linksys's wired routers are well-respected, though their wireless ones have never really had many good reviews. Have had no issues with either of mine, with configuration, usage, or annoying firewall issues (the Belkin I use to control my wireless sometimes blocks data from elsewhere on my network).
Honest Bob
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Honest Bob »

I'd go with the BEFSX41. I belive it has built in ad blocking. I've got a BEFSR41 at home. Hell I even have it working on my one way cable modem. Very happy with it. :)
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

Honest Bob wrote:I'd go with the BEFSX41. I belive it has built in ad blocking.
Don't believe it does, but of course that's easy enough to get elsewhere, doesn't really matter. :) I think the main differences compared to the SR41 is the slightly stronger firewall (SPI) and the VPN tunneling ability.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

The ad blocking just functions like a hosts file I believe.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Disregard anything Netgear.

Beyond that, I have no advice for you.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I have a Netgear wireless router and so far no problem.
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

I just ordered this last week when I was still on AOL on a one day sale for $45.00. Shoud be here today. :)

Linksys BEFSR41
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

im mad they u cant get 1 port routers aney more from linksys, i wish i never sold mine