Linux Distros - Your preference?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

What is your preferred Linux distro?

Ubuntu
60%
Fedora
5%
SUSE (or openSUSE)
5%
Red Hat
No votes
Mandrake
5%
Knoppix
No votes
Slackware
5%
FreeBSD
5%
Other ... I'll comment about it.
10%
I don't use Linux, but I'm answering in your Linux Poll anyway.
5%

Total votes: 20
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Linux Distros - Your preference?

Post by TechPro »

Of the Linux distros out there, what is your preference? Why?

While we're at it...
If you're putting both Linux and Windows on a system, what order do you prefer to do it in and why? (Windows first then Linux or Linux first then Windows).

Thanks
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

FreeBSD isn't Linux but it's on the list and I use it so I voted for it :P

As for dual boots, you always, always, always install Windows before Linux (or *BSD for that matter). It's a million times easier if you just let Windows have it's way first and then install your other OSs.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

openSUSE. Installation is still fast and painless on my older hardware. Frankly, any of the major distros would probably suit my purposes. I worry more about stability, so I tend to intentionally lag on adoption. For instance, while Version 10 of openSUSE was the latest, I made a point of using 9.3. When Version 11 came out, I switched to 10.3, etc.

I install WinXP first and then Linux. I have no intention of upgrading Windows, but I do periodically reinstall Linux for one reason or another, so it makes sense to do it in that order. All I do is run FIXMBR at the WinXP Recovery Console, delete the Linux partitions, and I am ready to reinstall.
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by EngDrewman »

Yup- I primarily use Ubuntu, but I have also used Fedora, Knoppix, Damn Small Linux, and PCLinuxOS. On my main computer, I dual boot Ubuntu & XP. No vista here!

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I've tried both Ubuntu and Slackware... but ended up going back to Windows (yes, Vista). Why? Because while I liked the flexibility of a Linux distro, it just became too much work to maintain.

I do programming and configuration at my workplace. When I get home, just give me something that I don't have to spend two hours a night configuring.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I've tried Ubuntu before but found driver support for my Nvidia card lacking at the time, although it was quite a while ago (was version 5.x). Although a lot of that was dealing with my frustratingly slow internet connection and the 30-40 MB package size for the driver. Couldn't get it to install and each attempt required some 15-20 minutes of time just redownloading the package.

Aside from that, the OS itself was pretty nice and the install process was relatively easy. Perhaps now that my internet connection is almost 40 times faster than it was back then I should try it out again.

Otherwise I'm quite satisfied with my XP install and my Vista install as well when I need it. Vista is not so bad on the right machine once you finish setting it up and no longer have any run-ins with UAC.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Mepis. I always did prefer KDE over Gnome. Had a pretty good package install, but it's been awhile since I've used it. Since my computer is all play and no work I use Windows now.

Edit: My last Linux install was Debian 4.0 net install. I just installed a base package then added fluxbox as the desktop. Very small and super fast. Makes a great Descent box >:)
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I use Ubuntu. It's still my favorite, but I don't like how early they were in adopting things like compiz and PulseAudio by default (so I just turn them off). Then again, I think the other big distros like Fedora did this too.

Ubuntu's large user base tends to work to its advantage. You have more community support, more bug reports, etc. Still, this can also be a disadvantage. I've seen threads on the Ubuntu forums where there are a dozen or so posts of different but all wrong suggestions on how to accomplish something where someone who knew even a little bit about the topic would have been able to easily get it right the first time. But the larger user base lends to Ubuntu seeming to have better hardware and software support, on average.

Really I don't think you can go wrong with using any of the top distros. And it's not like you have to commit to any of them, since it's trivial to blow away and install a different distro if you want. I'm going to insert a small piece of advice here though: put 'home' on a different partition so that you can do this without having to back up your user data. Live CD's also simplify this trial and error process as well

Slackware has its place, but, if Slackware were the distro for you, then you would already know it.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

linux!
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Ubuntu Studio AMD/64 8.04.1 (Hardy)

Sorry Folks not the half baked Ubuntu Studio 8.10 (Intrepid) release

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

Slackware! It has always been rock solid stable, for me.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

You forgot \"How to fack would I know where to start?\" J/K I think. :wink:
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I've used almost all of those distros at one point or another, but recently I've been really happy with Ubuntu (and its other flavors, with XFCE and KDE). Currently my 3 Linux machines are all Ubuntu.

God, I love Linux.