custom resolution, and mouse sensitivity settings?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

shaftz0r
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

custom resolution, and mouse sensitivity settings?

Post by shaftz0r »

first game i've played in a long time that didn't have a player cfg or at least an editable .ini file or something, somewhere.

The game is currently unplayable with the mouse settings. It sticks at 0.20, and is still WAY to high even after turning my dpi sens all the way down to 400x400. I need to be able to scale it down to say .05 or something.

The custom res isn't all that important i guess, but not being able to play 1440x900 on a widescreen really pulls the textures thin.

Any help would be appreciated. Good to see an active community :D Any of you guys play freespace 2?
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

change the mouse sensitivity ingame: hit f2, configure controller, adjust settings OR from main menu options controller setup etc.
custom resolution: add this to the command line: -width 1440 -height 900 -aspect 1.6

see the readme.txt from descent 3 for more settings.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Also, if you've been playing a lot of FPSs since the last time you played Descent, you'll need to re-adjust to the limited rotational speeds.

You can use 'mouselook' if you're only playing singleplayer, but it's not allowed on 99.9% of multiplayer servers.
shaftz0r
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by shaftz0r »

Floyd wrote:change the mouse sensitivity ingame: hit f2, configure controller, adjust settings OR from main menu options controller setup etc.
custom resolution: add this to the command line: -width 1440 -height 900 -aspect 1.6

see the readme.txt from descent 3 for more settings.
Thank you for the custom res settings, but did you really think i couldn't find the mouse settings using the gui myself? really?
Foil wrote:Also, if you've been playing a lot of FPSs since the last time you played Descent, you'll need to re-adjust to the limited rotational speeds.

You can use 'mouselook' if you're only playing singleplayer, but it's not allowed on 99.9% of multiplayer servers.
WHAT?! i really hope thats a joke. the other system is by far the most retarded thing ive ever seen. That almost makes it not worth playing =/
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Floyd »

shaftz0r wrote:I need to be able to scale it down to say .05 or something.
shaftz0r wrote:Thank you for the custom res settings, but did you really think i couldn't find the mouse settings using the gui myself? really?
by my experience of supporting people with D3 for nearly 10 years, yes.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

shaftz0r wrote:
Foil wrote:Also, if you've been playing a lot of FPSs since the last time you played Descent, you'll need to re-adjust to the limited rotational speeds.

WHAT?! i really hope thats a joke. the other system is by far the most retarded thing ive ever seen. That almost makes it not worth playing =/
For most Descent pilots, the ability to fly with mouselook on (e.g. allowing players to whip their ships around in a fraction of a second) goes completely against the nature of the game.

From the very first incarnation of the game, ships have rotational speeds built into their movement. (Note: It's the same in the Freespace games.) That's part of what makes Descent-style flight unique, especially in multiplayer dogfights; and that's part of what sets the Descent games apart from every other FPS 'ground-pounder' out there.
shaftz0r
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by shaftz0r »

Foil wrote:For most Descent pilots, the ability to fly with mouselook on (e.g. allowing players to whip their ships around in a fraction of a second) goes completely against the nature of the game.

From the very first incarnation of the game, ships have rotational speeds built into their movement. (Note: It's the same in the Freespace games.) That's part of what makes Descent-style flight unique, especially in multiplayer dogfights; and that's part of what sets the Descent games apart from every other FPS 'ground-pounder' out there.
that's fine and all, but it really is silly.

so no i can't add a sens to a cfg or any way to scale the sens at all? /uninstall =/ I got excited to play too
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

shaftz0r wrote:that's fine and all, but it really is silly.
I guess true Descent-style flight isn't for everyone; oh, well, I guess that's why they put mouse-look in D3 (to appease groundpounders who can't handle playing without super-fast spinning).

I just find it interesting that you mentioned Freespace 2, which has the same mechanic... :roll:

As I said, if you want to play with mouse-look on, feel free. Just be aware that you can't do so in multiplayer (unless the server-op enables it).
shaftz0r wrote:so no i can't add a sens to a cfg or any way to scale the sens at all? /uninstall =/ I got excited to play too
No .cfg option that I know of. Just the in-game options mentioned above.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Get a joystick.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Spidey wrote:Get a joystick.
X2! :D
EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by EngDrewman »

Spidey wrote:Get a joystick.
x3 - I recommend a gamepad, but don't get a usb 360 controller- they don't work with D3 for some reason (or at least not without a bunch of fuss)
shaftz0r
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by shaftz0r »

Foil wrote:
shaftz0r wrote:that's fine and all, but it really is silly.
I guess true Descent-style flight isn't for everyone; oh, well, I guess that's why they put mouse-look in D3 (to appease groundpounders who can't handle playing without super-fast spinning).

I just find it interesting that you mentioned Freespace 2, which has the same mechanic... :roll:

As I said, if you want to play with mouse-look on, feel free. Just be aware that you can't do so in multiplayer (unless the server-op enables it).
so are all of the people here huge douchebags, or just this turd? Sorry that i know how to aim broski.
so yeah. thanks for saving me from wasting my team with you, well done LOL

i'll try a 360 controller. I'm not gonna bother spending money on a peripheral i'll never use. I find it hard to believe that there is no way to meter sensitivity. is there a console or anything?
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

shaftz0r wrote: so are all of the people here huge douchebags, or just this turd?
...Think you just answered your own question buddy.

x4 on the joystick. And get used to the absense of mouselook - There's a reason the server admins remove it, it makes for a better game. Their equipment, their rules...
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Descent has a steep learning curve, and as an obvious groundpounder fanboy, you probably couldn't master it anyway. You would probably b.itch and whine the entire time and just make it miserable for everyone else... when they aren't killing you, that is. Then you'd just get mad and leave after about an hour of getting your ass kicked.

Obviously your attitude sucks too. You step into a gaming community that has been here for what 14 years and right off the bat you insult the people trying to help you. I hope that someday you grow out of this idiot comlex you've developed but I suppose when you stop sucking your mom's tit and get out in the real world you'll probably be in for just as big of a surprise there too. Good luck, a.sshat.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
shaftz0r
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by shaftz0r »

Capm wrote:Descent has a steep learning curve, and as an obvious groundpounder fanboy, you probably couldn't master it anyway. You would probably b.itch and whine the entire time and just make it miserable for everyone else... when they aren't killing you, that is. Then you'd just get mad and leave after about an hour of getting your ass kicked.

Obviously your attitude sucks too. You step into a gaming community that has been here for what 14 years and right off the bat you insult the people trying to help you. I hope that someday you grow out of this idiot comlex you've developed but I suppose when you stop sucking your mom's tit and get out in the real world you'll probably be in for just as big of a surprise there too. Good luck, a.sshat.
well done sir. clearly you have terrible reading comprehension, because if you didn't you would have seen that he offered no source of "help" what-so-ever, so my comments are entirely justified. Would you like me to go on some typical internet rant about how big of a geek you must be and how your wife must be a fat sow ectectect? save your generic internet insults for amateurs fatty.

As far as the learning curve, that's to be expected in any older game. Come try and play me in rtcw and try and get out of spawn. same concept.
Gekko71 wrote: x4 on the joystick. And get used to the absense of mouselook - There's a reason the server admins remove it, it makes for a better game. Their equipment, their rules...
obviously a joystick is a better option, but i'm not planning on buying one unless i happen to see something sick for cheap. I'm comfortable with the x,y,z axis's with the way i have them bound, i just dont understand what the computer adds without mouselook. the crosshair floats in some wierd directions, BUT THAT COULD ALSO BE BECAUSE MY SENS FEELS LIKE IT'S AT 1000. There's is seriously no personal cfg anywhere or developer console in the engine at all?
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

shaftz0r wrote:obviously a joystick is a better option, but i'm not planning on buying one unless i happen to see something sick for cheap. I'm comfortable with the x,y,z axis's with the way i have them bound, i just dont understand what the computer adds without mouselook. the crosshair floats in some wierd directions, BUT THAT COULD ALSO BE BECAUSE MY SENS FEELS LIKE IT'S AT 1000. There's is seriously no personal cfg anywhere or developer console in the engine at all?
The Mouselook thing makes more sense after you've tried a few games with it on - especially after playing AGAINST someone using it. Put 7 players in close quaters action with all of them using mouselook and some of them on 300ms lag - it's not just nuts, it's unplayable. Descent MP is hectic enough already without it.

There are some cheap joysticks around that do the job. Mine cost me $25 AU and it rocks: 3 axis plus throttle and 13 mappable buttons with a vibrate function thrown in. It even looks like a Pyro with forward swept wings on the base.

And as for the attitude thing - this is public board and you're free to speak your mind. But the people you just insulted are known to be particularly knowledgeable and helpful, to noobs as well as the more experienced gamer like yourself. They've been helping keep the game alive and the members of the board up and running for years. Keep it all respectful and you'll be more than welcome here - plus the mods will stay out of your posts.

And if this sounds like a pile of complete ****, then I recommend you try descentbb.com. where everyone is free to be as big an ar$ehole as they like and the mods pretty much don't give a toss.

...not that there's anything wrong with that :twisted:
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

While trying to stay a bit more neutral to this here's my explaination why I do not allow mouselook in Multiplayer games:

Fact: The game has a defined rule of a limited turn speed of the ships. This is a rule of the game which differs with many other FPS games.

Keyboard and Joystick controls *always* respect this turn limit. Mouselook get's around this.
And deactivating this limit is why the mosue seems to have more sensitivity. Wihtout Mouselook, you can use whatever sensitivity, but it will not help you.

So one way or another: With Mouselook there's an advance of Mouse Players over Keyboard/Joystick Players. Fact.

I am mostly a Joystick player but I learned to use the mouse better by mostly DECREASING the sensitivity and learning how to move the mouse according to the movement speed of the ship. With some time you can learn how too move the ship perfectly without \"paddling\" around with the mouse.

That's just my opinion. To be honest: Mouselook in this game is sorta Speedhack for me.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

If playing with mouselook on is too sensitive / too fast... try turning it off. As most here have said, it's recommended to do that anyway.

There are some incredible mousers that still play often; you might be able to just jump in an active game and ask.
Tebo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tebo »

Floyd wrote: see the readme.txt from descent 3 for more settings.
readme.txt wrote: -mousesens <scale>
Adjusts the sensitivity of the mouse when not using mouselook mode.
A value greater than 1.0 makes the mouse mores sensitive; less than 1.0 makes it less sensitive.

-mlooksens <scale>
Determines how much the player moves when the mouse is moved.
The default value is 9.1; smaller values give more precision.
shaftz0r wrote:

I hope the reason you call the other system retarded is that it has the y-axis inverted and not that there's no instant turning.
If so you should know that the axis can be inverted back using the gui. Just click the questionmark next to "pitch" in the config.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Beat by a couple minutes. :P Thank you Tebo. Note that both command lines will work with numbers down to 0.01 so they have all the precision you could need.

The rest of you are all idiots! Don't pick stupid fights.

If you have a problem with no mouselook in multiplayer, go back to playing Quack.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

D'oh. I should have looked in the readme - I hadn't remembered any command-line sensitivity options.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Krom wrote: If you have a problem with no mouselook in multiplayer, go back to playing Quack.
and X2 on Zico's post. This has been a point of contention from DAY 1! It falls under the category that trichording falls into ...

Old community vs. new comers. or, Game play that we're used to back from D1 vs game play that non-6dof players are used to. ie, instant turning and one speed.

One exception to all this (and some of you will remember) was the Orb .. or Space orb (iirc). In D1, it gave the player insane turn speeds; 360+ in 10th's of seconds. o_0
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, and a lot of the Orbers never made the transition to D3, most notably Dorsola & ★■◆●, altho Dorsola did try.

It’s funny, because I was in one of his last games…He was bitching like crazy.

Lol @ swear filter, the pilot’s name was Bitching, without the “ing”.

AKA Grudge
shaftz0r
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by shaftz0r »

hey krom, tebo thank you. the exact answers i was looking for. so console is the typical tilde? I'm sure i'll figure it out.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

shaftz0r wrote:so console is the typical tilde?
No, there's no "~" console or equivalent in Descent3.

The -mousesens <scale> and -mlooksens <scale> options go in the options line in the last tab in the D3 Launcher.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

A console would be an awesome feature in D3, but the developers never thought of it. So the only way to do most of the extra settings is through the command line, which is inconvenient for finding things like the correct mouse sensitivity since you have to restart the game each time you want to try a different setting. But that is the best this old clunker of a game can do unfortunately.

You can put those in the launcher setup button / misc tab / optional D3 command-line switches.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by Capm »

shaftz0r wrote: As far as the learning curve, that's to be expected in any older game. Come try and play me in rtcw and try and get out of spawn. same concept.
Actually, calling me fatty is funny, I'm skinny as a rail. Also, I did used to play rtcw, it was nothing special. What I meant was, the learning curve to control your ship in Descent adequetly is alot more difficult to master than *any* of your ground pounders. Not just that its an old game, the curve was always steeper, which is probably why it never became as popular as quack. You couldn't walk around and have it mastered in two minutes like a ground pounder, people came in expecting to pwn everyone like they did in quack, got their asses handed to them and gave up.

Oh and your attitude still stinks. ;)
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
shaftz0r
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by shaftz0r »

Capm wrote:
shaftz0r wrote: As far as the learning curve, that's to be expected in any older game. Come try and play me in rtcw and try and get out of spawn. same concept.
Actually, calling me fatty is funny, I'm skinny as a rail. Also, I did used to play rtcw, it was nothing special. What I meant was, the learning curve to control your ship in Descent adequetly is alot more difficult to master than *any* of your ground pounders. Not just that its an old game, the curve was always steeper, which is probably why it never became as popular as quack. You couldn't walk around and have it mastered in two minutes like a ground pounder, people came in expecting to pwn everyone like they did in quack, got their asses handed to them and gave up.

Oh and your attitude still stinks. ;)
um, that's a really ignorant statement. You've obviously never played any fps in competition. rtcw/et is one the steepest learning curves of any fps. multi-classed, multi obj based shooter. cannot be even scratched in a month. all of the other pea shooter games, yes i agree, but not that one ;P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I think this topic has served its purpose.

Feel free to debate the learning curve of Descent vs other games in Oldschool or Multiplayer or the Cafe if you are further inclined to do so.