Photoshop weirdness

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Shoku
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shoku »

If you're taking the file to a professional printer they should be able to use a tif file. Since jpeg's are compressed, why would you choose that format over a tif, which is a printing industry standard?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Is "Hide extensions of known file types" checked in the folder options?
REDDER
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by REDDER »

I only have Photoshop 5.5

Are you sure you have the files box below the box where you name the file set to TIF. If it is still set to JPEG that will always come at the end of your extension if you type in the whole thing.

example: If you type photo.tif and jpeg is still the file type in the box below you will get photo.tif.jpeg

If you are not doing this try exporting the file and assign the extension there.

Or use Irfanview to convert the native photoshop or jpeg into a tif
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

This is a common fluke in many programs...

What happens when you save an existing file, by clicking "save as" and then it'll have the filename there in the filename field, and it'll have your filetype in the field below it, when you select the new filetype, it saves it under that format, and just adds the appropriate extention on the end. If you don't remove the .tif from the filename field then you get filename.tif.jpeg instead of filename.jpeg

Just rename the file to filename.jpeg and it should work fine, and remember to remove extentions when saving existing files under a different format. Image
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

No printer with any degree of professionalism will ask for jpeg files. When you rip desktop publishing files to film or plates, you always always want tiffs. jpegs are for the www.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by KtheC':
What the printer does or doesn't do has no bearing on why this thing is happening when I save files. Stick to the question.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact that you're trying to save perfectly good tiffs as jpegs to send to a printer is laughable, to say the least. Besides, Capm just answered the question for you. Just STFU and rename them like the rest of us do. Image
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Alright be nice, or the thread will be closed. We don't need any flamewars erupting...

In fact with the question answered, this thread doesn't really need any other reply than: Thank you.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">That would be correct, but some places want both.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know what I'm talking about, eh? ROFL! NO PLACES WANT BOTH, ASSHAT! I was trying to be nice, but screw you, now. I've forgotten more about photoshop than you'll ever know.

11 years of desktop publishing experience, 6 years of professional printing sales for a total of over 5 million dollars, 4 years of freelance graphic design. I've designed logos for companies that are traded on the NASDAQ and NYSE. I'd say I know a little about photoshop. So, be a good boy, rename em, and STFU, Biatch!
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Feel better now?
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Much, thank you. Image
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Punisher, knock it off, and develop some people skills for crying out loud, you've obviously had your head in photoshop so long you've forgotten how not to be rude.

I strongly recommend you clean up that post.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I strongly recommend you mind your own business. Go moderate your own forum.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

heh... cant you two just give eachoter a hug and have some wild man secks? Just because Punisher know's more then you capm, doesn't mean you can be jealous and get away with it..

Wait....

Just because Capm is all up in your grill, pun, doesn't mean you have to have a tantrum, does it?

Wait....

nm

Carry on.. Don't forget that hug.. and maybe you two should swap some spit Image

Actually, I was emailed and asked to close this thread. Until the starter emails me asking me to do so, I'll assume it needs to stay open. And I'll assume that you two can play nice like good little girls...
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

whos jealous? Image
I never said I knew more than punisher. In fact I'm not really involved other than trying to douse a flamewar b4 it starts. Image

But then, Nobody ever listens to me Image
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

EDIT: NM, I'm done with this.