(Solved)Is there a faster way to strip a cat?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

(Solved)Is there a faster way to strip a cat?

Post by Octopus »

...CAT 5 & 6 that is.
Crimping ethernet cables is hard for me only because stripping the little wires is slow going. Is there a device I could use to make the job faster and more clean cut looking? My crimper is only good at crimping, and stripping the jacket off.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Umm your stripping the pairs too? You don't do that as the crimps in the crystal end are designed to pierce the insulation. Get yourself a Stanley UTP wire stripper like this and nicking the pairs are a thing of the past;

Kickaxe UTP Jacket stripper
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

That is correct. When you crimp the end, the contacts to through the insulation for the small wires.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

oh, you mean like This?
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

Duper wrote:oh, you mean like This?
Now how can I make it do that each time? :P
Canuck and Zantor wrote:Image
Thank you so much!
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

For the RJ45s we use this at work
http://cableorganizer.com/ez-rj45-network-plugs/

U need a crimper with a cutting blade but I love them now cause all my cables look nice and clean
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I find that these units don't make good connections and when they do just give them time and they become poor. I use AMP/Tyco crystals and crimpers... expensive but the best. Just learn how to strip the correct length.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

If you get a good cutter/crimper, the length is preset.

http://www.palmettowebdesigns.com/Page% ... age004.jpg

That is what you should be using. The others are all hogwash.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I like the telemasters, and I also agree the others are junk

And for the love of God, they're NOT crystals!
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I've used the telemasters and they are a toy compared to AMP. Notice they crimp on an angle... AMP crimps with a ratcheting mechanism and straight on. And I've heard many people call the ends the \"crystal\" although technically they are not. Slang for them I guess.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

Crimping takes practice. The more practice you get in, the higher the probability becomes that the crimp is good. Something you must be careful of is after you get all the wires lined up and then you fit the end on, sometimes the wires like to flip around each other and mess up the order. Practice helps this as well.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Zantor wrote:Crimping takes practice. The more practice you get in, the higher the probability becomes that the crimp is good. Something you must be careful of is after you get all the wires lined up and then you fit the end on, sometimes the wires like to flip around each other and mess up the order. Practice helps this as well.
wait, the messing up part?

So all in all you could say there's more than one way to skin a CAT? :lol:

(sorry, I just had too)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

actually terminating rj45's is pretty easy, but until you can actually do Cat 5 you should be in no way even thinking of touching cat 6

This advice is for everyone but the author of this thread [edit see bottom]

what you need is a Lanmaster II ( mod plug crimper) and a pair of kleintools electrical scissors)

Do not use the scorer form the crimper otherwise you have a 50% chance you will redo the termination.
If you're in a bind and misplaced your good snips.. go to the \"second click\" to score correctly using your \"IDEAL Lanmaster II \" scorer...

\"Keep in mind - where you cut\" \"do not be cheap\" you can always coil extra cable behind a desk (always give yourself 3' extra - even inside a wall)

Step 1

score 2\" sheath, pull off excess it's pretty easy.. grab nylon rip cord and pull it through another 2\" of sheathing. Then pull the useless sheathing to the side trim off including the now meaningless nylon rip cord (this is to prevent accidental cuts into pairs during your original scoring into the outer sheath which may cause a possible ground or shorted pair if you do not)

Step 2

grab segment from sheathed part to about 2\" out where the exposed 4 pair of twisted wire is... pinch both sides with both hands... make a motion like your unwrapping a piece of taffy.. this will untwist the pairs in between your fingers (without individually unwisting each pair). cut off the remainder(this is where possible scored part might be lurking)

Step 3

T568B Configuration - fanning your pairs

take the orange pair move to the left (set \"orange-white\" to left and the \"orange-solid\" to the right of the pair) \":|\"

take the brown pair move right (set \"brown-white\" to left and the \"brown-solid\" to the right of the pair)\":|\"

take the green pair move it to the bottom, as if pointing to your feet (we'll come back to this pair, we just want them out of the way for now)\"=\"

ODD PART - take the blue pair left in the middle (set \"blue-solid\" to left \"blue-white\" to the right of the pair) this is the flipped center set remember \"flip the blue\") \"|:\"

Step 4

This is where we are still keeping all the pairs pinched in between out left hand using our index finger and thumb and assemble them in the correct sequence

We currently have flipped \"blue pair\" in the middle, \"green pair\" below and out of the way, \"orange pair\" to the left and \"brown pair\" to the right...

\"\\\\ || //\"

pull the \"green-white\" single wire up to the left of the \"blue-solid\"\", and the \"green-solid\" wire up to the right of the \"blue-white\".... now we have the center 2 pairs together still pinched in between your fingers in the correct order. pull the orange pair in from the left and set them on the left next to the green-white wire and pull the brown set in from the right and set them on the right next to the \"green-solid\" wire.

\" \\\\||||// \"

Now you have all 8 wires in the correct sequence ready to be cut and to insert into the mod plug.
sequence is

T568B (ATT/LUCENT/CAT5/6)

ow|o|gw|blue|bluew|gw|bwnw|bwn

T568A (POTS/66/110/Krone/CAT3 or Crossover Termination)

gw|g|ow|blue|bluew|ow|bwnw|bwn

easy way to remember the poorman's cable connection
\"flip the green and orange pairs\" during your prep

quick visual in a jiff for a 8 pair is\"

white/solid/white/solid/white/solid/white/solid
OR
rx1/rx2/tx1/spare1/spare2/tx2/spare3/spare4

now your still holding the 8 wires in between your left index finger and thumb.. take right hand and pinch the wires about 1/2 inch towards the loose ends and shift the sets left and right slightly along the plane of the arranged wires. this will make the wires bind tightly to each other and keep them flat. take the scissors in your right hand and trim off the excess, if you had your left thumb in the correct position originally that would be a little less than 3/8's of an inch from the tip of your thumb.

this basically maintains the requirement that the pair untwist remains under 1 cm for cat5/5e

slide the mod plug contacts facing you over the flattened wires slowly until they get in the grooves (always keeping the sets pinched in your fingers) just as the wires reach the end of the mod plug you will actually release the set. look for 8 shiny copper ends at the end.. shimmy the group until you do. you will also notice the sheath is also inside the mod plug where it should be.. stick the group and pug into the crimper..

crimp once
twice
three times for good measure

pull on the group and mod plug and ensure they do not come apart..

after about 10 of these this way you will have it down to about 2 minutes a piece and never have to do a termination twice.

you will also tend to keep the snips in your right hand the whole time because the outside handle should be on your pinky-finger.. then pressure to cut is done by the inside of your palm. you can cut anything including someones fingers off with just some slight pressure this way.

Doing networks and phone systems for a few years you learn how to do it quick and right the first time.

Now for a Crossover Cable (use red colored cable or red tape at each end to identify)

T568B at one end
ow|o|gw|blue|bluew|gw|bwnw|bwn

T568A at the other end
gw|g|ow|blue|bluew|ow|bwnw|bwn

Basically the TX at one end becomes the RX at the other end. This is for Direct NIC(PC) to NIC(PC) or for a Switch to Switch connection that does not have a \"Auto-sense crossover RJ45 Port\"

rx1/rx2/tx1/spare1/spare2/tx2/spare3/spare4

[edit]
----------------------------------------------------

You know I just posted years of hands-on CWA Exprience...
What do i get from the chump-creator of this thread who is using safety scissors and training wheels....
To: BUBBALOU
Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:08 pm
Subject: I beg you Quote message
Please please please BUBBALOU, stop posting in my threads... Please times a thousand!
Since obviously every thread you start has no real meaning other than a ++postcount of meaningless banter. Here is what you can do. Instead of just coming back as \"Octopus\", when you swore you would never return....

Make your own forum where only you post and only you reply or go back to Planet Descent.... Isaac the Octopuss
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

yup... *sigh*