Laptop for the person who hates laptops.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Laptop for the person who hates laptops.

Post by Isaac »

So I go out to the store and pick out a cute little laptop that's said to be very compatible with Ubuntu. After 24 hours of trying to get comfortable with it I punted it back to Radioshack.

I hate laptops but I need one for school. And I'm used to my big Desktop. I'd like something I can take notes on but I don't want anything too big. Because to save money, this University I'm checking out, only buys desks with the tiny writing surface.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I'm confused by your final string of words that you intended to be a sentence.

You're looking at tablets?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

snoopy wrote:I'm confused by your final string of words that you intended to be a sentence.
Retry. Thank you.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

What is it you are looking for, Isaac? Are you looking for something basic, sophisticed, or business grade? Do you want a netbook or something bigger?
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

How about a stone tablet and chisel if you hate technology so much;
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Canuck wrote:How about a stone tablet and chisel if you hate technology so much;
I hate Compaqs and HPs. But they are cheap.
Zantor wrote:What is it you are looking for, Isaac? Are you looking for something basic, sophisticed, or business grade? Do you want a netbook or something bigger?
Just something with a comfortable mouse interface and a regular keyboard. But such a thing probably doesn't exist, outside of the desktop world.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Isaac wrote:Just something with a comfortable mouse interface and a regular keyboard. But such a thing probably doesn't exist, outside of the desktop world.
Any laptop with 2 USB ports + a USB keyboard and a USB mouse.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

To get a laptop with a full size keyboard, you will have to get one with a 17\" screen, which probably isn't practical.

I would suggest any well built laptop with a 14.1\" or 15.4\" screen made by anyone good, and NOT Dell, HP, or Compaq. Get an MSI, ASUS, Acer, Sony, Toshiba, or Lenovo.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Lenovo - love mine
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

here is an excellent solution to your dilemma.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834115674

An Acer laptop, a 15.6\" screen, and Windows 7, on sale for $399.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Cuda68 wrote:Lenovo - love mine
:D Do you? Do you run linux on yours?
Zantor wrote:To get a laptop with a full size keyboard, you will have to get one with a 17" screen, which probably isn't practical.

I would suggest any well built laptop with a 14.1" or 15.4" screen made by anyone good, and NOT Dell, HP, or Compaq. Get an MSI, ASUS, Acer, Sony, Toshiba, or Lenovo.

here is an excellent solution to your dilemma.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834115674

An Acer laptop, a 15.6" screen, and Windows 7, on sale for $399.
I just retuned the 10.1" Acer Aspire. Maybe you're onto something. I'll buy this 15.6" from the store to try it out. Thank you!

And that's two votes for lenovo!

Krom wrote:
Isaac wrote:Just something with a comfortable mouse interface and a regular keyboard. But such a thing probably doesn't exist, outside of the desktop world.
Any laptop with 2 USB ports + a USB keyboard and a USB mouse.
I'm going to be using it in class. And they have these tiny note taking desks. I'd use a mouse at home with it though. But it needs to be a note taking laptop. And maybe that lenovo mouse stick thing will work better than a touch pad.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I tend to prefer the little mouse buttons in the center of the keyboard to touchpads, but really both of them are a royal pain so I just drop a Logitch VX Nano in a pocket which handily solves that problem.

Although my laptop is a 17\" laptop so at the very least I know that when it eventually breaks down or becomes too old and slow to keep using I can just tie a rope to it and use it as a boat anchor.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

Isaac, I strongly suggest you buy it from Newegg. Often their prices beat that of retail brick and mortar stores, and they have an excellent reputation. I have been a consistent Newegg customer for 3 years.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Newegg has most of my money. Don't worry about my trust in them. :P

OPERATING SYSTEM UBUNTU 8.04 (Standard Edition) (I would upgrade to 9.10)
WIRELESS CARDS Wireless 802.11g (1397) Mini Card
HARD DRIVE 16GB Solid State Drive
BATTERY OPTIONS 56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell)
PROCESSOR Intel® Atom Processor® N270 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512K cache)
DISPLAY 10.1\" Widescreen Display (1024x600)
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Yr Ltd Warranty, 1 Yr Mail-in Service, and 1 Yr Tech Support
MEMORY 1GB DDR2 SDRAM
INTEGRATED WEBCAM Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
......................................$364

I'm not saying I'm going to buy a Dell but this is pretty much what I'm looking for. I just don't know if I'd like the touchpad.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

So I take it that you already know about this?
http://www.dell.com/ubuntu

I have the Inspiron 15n with Ubuntu. Getting a laptop with linux preinstalled (Dell or not) is the best way you're going to guarantee that linux will run smoothly on it. Dell also throws in some DVD playing software and mp3 codecs too, although I'm sure you've already found ways around the legal conundrums surrounding these.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the vx nano is neat. I gave one as a gift a few years ago.

Still on original batteries.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I think you can adjust to using a touchpad, but it's your call. I own a Logitech VX Nano and it's one of the best mice I've ever owned.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

2 things.
I've got nothing against mice. But the very reason I'm getting a laptop is the same I won't have space to use a mouse.

And since I'm writing study notes and not drawing on this laptop (as far as I know) I can alt+tab, shift+tab, and tab my way around most of the time.

So I just need something that can help me use a browser. Tabbing up and down firefox is annoying. I'd rather use w3m where my arrow pad is used. And I think the Lenovo joystick nipple thing will work the best. So that's first on my to do list.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

Firefox has a feature called Caret Browsing; push F7 to activate it. It makes navigating pages with the keyboard easier.

I have a Toshiba Satellite and I use the touchpad, even when browsing the web. I think you will just have to adjust to using a touchpad or a mouse thumbstick (the thing Thinkpads have). You might find adjusting the touchpad's sensitivity to be of help.

A laptop that does not have a full keyboard often has it condensed in a way that the manufacturer thinks is user friendly. It isn't always the best, but it's workable. You can also buy a USB numpad to plug in so you don't have to use the keyboard's condensed numpad.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

That might do it zantor! I didn't know about F7 in FF. Thanks dude.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Here you go. Not quite a laptop though:

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

JMEaT wrote:Here you go. Not quite a laptop though:

It's not a real product yet. you jerk :P :lol: