Looking for a specific type of DVD-RW/CD-RW combo...

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Looking for a specific type of DVD-RW/CD-RW combo...

Post by JMEaT »

Internal 5 1/4 standard size, but in a silver/aluminum bezel. You win one Internets if you can find me one (not used/auctioned). Brand really isn't a concern.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

OK... since they don't exist, who thinks this External enclosure can be opened and the drive inserted into a PC case? (I know ... long shot...)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I think the vast majority of the time the drives inside are just standard PATA or SATA drives, so usually you can pull them and it will work. But there are always exceptions and if so, you are out almost $70.

I did glance around but unfortunately I don't know any sites that sell a drive like that either.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Re:

Post by JMEaT »

Thanks, Canuck, I actually found that one too. Unfortunately I can't find a single retailer that sells them!! :lol:
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Here's what I'd do.

The faces to drives are pretty uniform and easy to change. Find any old random drive with the face that you want, preferably something that's old/broken, but the face still looks good on E-bay. Then, find a drive that meets your specs that has the same button/volume knob/etc configuration as the face plates that you just salvaged. Finally, take the old faceplates, slap them on your new drive, and don't stress about the fact that they are slightly differently labeled.

Option number 2:

Just find any old drive, strip off the bezel, go to home depot and find some spray paint that matches the look that you're going for, mask, and go to town witht he paint.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Actually you want to use \"Automotive Bumper Paint\".... FTW

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.