Anti-Virus

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Anti-Virus

Post by S13driftAZ »

I'll get straight to the point

What is the best anti-virus out there? Why?

I own McAfee and I honestly think it sucks. I am leaning toward BitDefender or AVG, but honestly there are so many reviews telling me different things.

Thanks!
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Avast. It's free, it's good, it doesn't constantly bombard you with ads, and it updates itself every day.

Avira. Supposedly #1, however their constant pop ups in the free version leave me cold.

McAfee and Norton both blow major chunks. I seriously think Norton should be classified as a virus as I have seen it render systems inoperable. McAfee is like some whore on the street corner selling her goods every where but everyone who gets with her, gets a bonus. Love to know how they got both AT&T & Comcast contracts. :roll:

AVG is alright. Don't really care for it. Meh.

NOD32 is supposedly the best out there, however I also ranked it a meh. I found it cumbersome to set up and it seriously screwed with my firewall settings.

---------------------------------------------------

Make sure to get Malwarebytes and Combofix(from BleepingComputer, not .Combofix.org) and run them routinely. Yes Combofix can cripple your system, but I have never, ever had that happen in the hundreds of systems I've used it on.

---------------------------------------------------

Autoruns, and ATF Cleaner are some other great utilities. Have actually eradicated viruses using nothing more than Autoruns, along with Regedit.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Nod32 is known for its powerful heuristics scanner. Its resource friendly and quick with file scans. Updates often.

Kaspersky is another good one and aggressive. Just like Nod32 it updates often.

Avira is the best free anti virus software today. Many believe it’s better than Nod32. I have it on my laptop and it does its job.

Vipre and BitDefender also have high props. But I never used them.

But an anti virus can only do so much. You might want to look into a HIPS scanner if you're one those that fears the worst. I just got done testing one called Drive Sentry. I threw a 11 malicious urls at just now. This is what it caught.

Locked in a sandbox and dead. Those files are unable to execute.

Plus the program is free for personal use.
http://www.drivesentry.com/drivesentry-products.html
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

I would like to second (or is it third?) that McAfee and Nortons blows. McAfee was once one of the best ... a very long time ago (and never free). Norton was for quite a while possibly the best (but never free) but for these days it blows big disgusting chunks and doesn't appear to be getting much better.

Avast is one of the best, especially if you buy it. For me, I don't like it's system overhead, or it's user interface. Despite what others may say, they try VERY hard to avoid you getting the free version.

Avira is also one of the best, and buying it only 1) gets rid of the only-once-a-day ad, 2) increases it's scope of coverage (and it's overhead). Free or purchased, it's very good. (I like it and it's proven itself well, though I have seen a of couple false positives). Resource overhead is low.

AVG is fairly good, and usually not too heavy of the resources. The free version also doesn't pester you with any ads. However, I've seen stuff get right past the free version. I had a customer who was running the free version and was repeatedly getting infected and I would have to clean up the system (at least three times so far) ... until they purchased the full AVG suite (anti-virus, firewall, \"internet protection\", etc.) ... and I haven't had to clean their system ever since. But they only got that protection after purchasing the full suite.

As others have said, a combination of good products (combined with good, safe, internet habits) is your best bet. No single (and free) product will do the job. A good combination (anti-virus, firewall, anti-popup/ads, etc) can be obtained using free products.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

I'll second Avira. I can handle the one add a day. Been using it for years. Updates daily.
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

I have Kaspersky AVP from 2008 to 2009, it was great. But 2010 is not good. It blocked FireFox's addons. And it blocks some programs. =/

BitDefender sometimes stops running. I'm too nervous to get it for next year.
MD1985
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I have Kaspersky 2010 running my desktop and I seen no issues with it. Especially not with Firefox add-ons.

Do you have more than one AV installed?
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

X3 on Avast and Malwarebytes. I have both (free versions) and run them regularly. Combined they do a pretty good job and they don't get in each other's way.

Malwarebytes especially is a must have - best anti-malware I've ever used.

Frind of mine runs Kaspersky 2007 - good software, can't comment on the 2010 version.

And yes, IMO Norton and McAfee are crap. I'd ditch 'em, (especially Norton).
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Posted in another thread:

This might sound hoaky, but I use a program called \"SuperAntispyware\". It's a virus sweeper as well as a spyware watcher. Google it, it's free and does a good job. We use it at work as a back up. (Whenever our corporate Norton takes a dump :mrgreen:)
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Short reply

I use AVG 9
Have a good firewall that I constantly clear.
run:
Malwarebytes
Superantispyware

Daily maintenance is best.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i run AVG 9, SuperAntispyware, MalwareBytes and Spybot
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Glowhyena »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:Do you have more than one AV installed?
Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. Or I should get more?
MD1985
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by TigerRaptor »

Paskiewicz wrote:
TigerRaptorFX wrote:Do you have more than one AV installed?
Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. Or I should get more?
I think KAV is a great and hard to break. But even KAV has its flaws. I do recommend following Krom's example if you haven't all ready.
Krom wrote:Spybot Search and Destroy / Skyalmian
http://www.safer-networking.org/
Free spyware/malware removal tool, I highly reccommend using and updating the immunization feature regularly.

Malwarebytes antimalware / TechPro
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Supplement to Spybot Search and Destroy, use them both together for the best results.
Even SuperAntiSpyware is an awesome product. I also use it with Malwarebytes.

On the other hand I'm also a fan of HIPS products. Like Defense+ in Comodo's firewall, DefenseWall HIPS, and GesWall. Any that can isolate malware in virtual environment and terminate it with just a click.

Another one I like is called Sandboxie. But this will only protect what the browser downloads.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Anyone have an opinion on clam?
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

ClamWin isn't the greatest on demand scanner. If anything its detection rate is poor. A much better alternative to clam would be DrWeb Cureit
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

I was trying to install AVG. It failed for many times. I got avgtdix.sys and avgrkx86.sys from other computer to my pc. It still failed again.

I think Kaspersky causes my pc boots slowly. Also running any programs.

I was frustrated... :'(
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

stop surfing pr0n sites and illegal software sites and opening funny attachments from friends..... best antivirus out there

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Insurrectionist »

BUBBALOU wrote:stop surfing pr0n sites and illegal software sites and opening funny attachments from friends..... best antivirus out there
I concur.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

BUBBALOU wrote:stop surfing pr0n sites and illegal software sites and opening funny attachments from friends..... best antivirus out there
Got by 10 years without antivirus this way.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by TigerRaptor »

Paskiewicz wrote:I have Kaspersky AVP from 2008 to 2009, it was great. But 2010 is not good.

BitDefender sometimes stops running.

I was trying to install AVG. It failed for many times.
Paskiewicz wrote:I think Kaspersky causes my pc boots slowly.
No. It sounds like you're messing around with too many AV programs at once.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

More than 1 AV program is like putting a plastic bag over your head and by the looks of it, someone has almost half a dozen

Uninstall them all and use BitDender if you are an Online Gamer and have a brain, or Kaspersky if you're just a General User with at least half a brain, Or put Nortons 2010(not 2009 or prior) on your parents machine cause their brain is in a bottle of Geritol

I use BitDefender on my Gaming Desktops (It has Gamer Mode) and AVG for laptops and Business desktops.. Unless they are on a Domain... then Endpoint

Also When I purchase AV Suites I go for the Multi User 2 year deals.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Glowhyena »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:No. It sounds like you're messing around with too many AV programs at once.
I have only one, Kaspersky. Truly, I fixed an old computer before it booted fast. I installed a Kaspersky on it, it booted slowly.
BUBBALOU wrote:Uninstall them all and use BitDender if you are an Online Gamer and have a brain, or Kaspersky if you're just a General User with at least half a brain, Or put Nortons 2010(not 2009 or prior) on your parents machine cause their brain is in a bottle of Geritol

I use BitDefender on my Gaming Desktops (It has Gamer Mode) and AVG for laptops and Business desktops.. Unless they are on a Domain... then Endpoint

Also When I purchase AV Suites I go for the Multi User 2 year deals.
BitDefender sometimes stops running unless I restart my computer.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Glowhyena »

Sorry for double post, but you didn't help me. =/
TigerRaptorFX wrote:No. It sounds like you're messing around with too many AV programs at once.
I was right... I noticed Kaspersky scans program which I open each time that causes slow. It blocked AVG from installing. I uninstalled Kaspersky; finally, AVG installed on my computer. My PC runs fast and smooth.

Now I'm happy with AVG. =3 Thank you for nothing.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Paskiewicz wrote:I noticed Kaspersky scans program which I open each time that causes slow. It blocked AVG from installing. I uninstalled Kaspersky; finally, AVG installed on my computer. My PC runs fast and smooth.
Common sense should have told you to uninstall Kaserpsky before installing another AV program. You clearly just proved you were trying to install an AV over another AV program. As expected from the start.

So why lie about it? Pinocchio!
Paskiewicz wrote:BitDefender sometimes stops running unless I restart my computer.
As Pinocchio had Kapsersky running at the same time. Now you know why BitDefender didn't work properly.

Edit: I also get the feeling you were running a cracked version of Kapsersky and BitDefender. No one in their right mind would just drop a paid program for a free one. If that is a free version of AVG.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Glowhyena »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:Now you know why BitDefender didn't work properly.
Dude, you didn't understand me.

My old Kaspersky 2009 expired, then I uninstalled it before I got BitDefender on my computer... It couldn't keep running all time, there was NO Kaspersky on my computer. Only BitDefender that which I had. I'd like to know why BitDefender sometimes stops running. =|
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I have never had Bitdefender stop on me... only issues withe BD is if you run another A/V or self scanning malware program

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Glowhyena »

BUBBALOU wrote:only issues withe BD is if you run another A/V or self scanning malware program
I did nothing to all programs, I mean I didn't use Firefox and etc. I got to my computer back from my lunch; surprised, BitDefender stopped running by itself. The icon (taskbar) had changed from red to gray. It said I have to restart my computer to solve itself... It was annoying. =/
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Nowhere is it mentioned that Kapersky expired or uninstalled. Until very recently!

What are these programs you keep making clams about? The statements are misleading and provide very little information about your issues.

Seriously explain your problems in more detail!
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Okay... You heard like you're pissed off.

Well, I'm done with it.
MD1985
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Not angry. Just trying to figure out your gibberish.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Lets turn a new page here folks, don't make me use the:
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by S13driftAZ »

The thread has already been derailed

Anyways I settled on avast! and using zonealarm for my firewall.

Krom, do with them whatever you like. :twisted:
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Look what windows has done to us... :(

:)Image