DD-WRT and CPU Usage at 100%

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

DD-WRT and CPU Usage at 100%

Post by AceCombat »

okay here's the scoop, i accquired a WRT54G-TM \"T-Mobile\" edition wireless router from my second job as an Electronics Recycling Technician.

i really like this router because it has a 32MB Mem vs. the WRT54GL-v1 8MB Mem that was recently being used.

lately with DD-WRT Build v24-SP2 Mega 13064, the router's CPU Usage has been pegged at 100% for the last few days. i checked my settings for anything unusual but found nothing. everything has been the same since i flashed the thing with DD-WRT. and yes, the TM Edition is supported by DD-WRT.

any ideas?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Did you reboot it?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Krom wrote:Did you reboot it?
Especially after all those feline~pr0n torrents

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Cuda68 »

BUBBALOU wrote:
Krom wrote:Did you reboot it?
Especially after all those feline~pr0n torrents
heh 2/3 years on that one and its still funny :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Further useless banter purged...

Actually it is more like 7 or 8 years old Cuda. :P
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

after downloading huge and multiple # of torrents most all router have issues, and a good reboot works

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

BUBBALOU wrote:after downloading huge and multiple # of torrents most all router have issues, and a good reboot works
i'd like to know how many times the black party van has visited you for your loads of torrented CP

anyways, i decided to save this thread in a pathetic attempt to help you. I looked on the googleweb and saw some things about a process called 'mediaserver.exe' acting up and causing this problem. Hope that helps.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

AceCombat, ssh into it and run \"top\". It will show you a list of processes and memory usage and will display what is using up all the cpu.

Also, you didn't mention....did you try resetting all the settings and starting from scratch? Hope you did when you flashed it the first time - you should ALWAYS reset the router settings when you flash a new dd-wrt firmware.
Why doesn't it work?
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Reset = reload system with program. Items with cheap Korean memory should be hammered several times or more to get the program to \"take\".
EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by EngDrewman »

Canuck wrote:Reset = reload system with program. Items with cheap Korean memory should be hammered several times or more to get the program to "take".
X2- had to do that with mine last time I had to upgrade firmware
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

sorry i have been away........ :roll:

yes i know about rebooting/resetting it after flashing

its been flashed for about a month now, and i reboot it every weekend

i \"think\" it fixed itself, i checked the usage this morning and it was at ~20-30%
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

/me laughs at ghetto flashing techniques

Congrats AceCombat: now watch carefully for the next occurance, and look to see what occurred prior to the Spike and after, like \"popular torrent\" and or \"IP address change\" (you still have DSL.. right)

Necro this thread if you have to, but most likely it will happen again within the next 2-3 weeks

Also check to see if there was a Firmware push on your modem, since they have to use the host in conjunction with the modem itself (leaving a cfg file for upgrade)to complete the upgrade (older cable modems especially)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

AceCombat wrote: i "think" it fixed itself, i checked the usage this morning and it was at ~20-30%
Let me guess, you are not running your torrent program at the moment? :lol: :lol:
Why doesn't it work?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Xamindar wrote:Let me guess, you are not running your torrent program at the moment? :lol: :lol:
with AceCombat's lack of information in his reply, you might have hit the nail right on the head... :)

AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i do not like torrents thus i do not run torrents :roll: too many virus complaints.

the only thing i have running constant is BF2's AutoAdmin on a second PC, but that doesnt even use 50Kbps throughput.

BUBBALOU wrote: (you still have DSL.. right)

no i have Comcast 32Mbit now
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Torrents are no more or less likely to contain a virus than a plain HTTP or FTP download.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Krom wrote:Torrents are no more or less likely to contain a virus than a plain HTTP or FTP download.
Really, it does depend on WHAT you torrent. More than a few ISO torrents, come, pre-infected. Use something like Deamon Tools to mount the image, scan the hell out of it, hopefully you did that in a sandbox.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.