New system upgrade: Question about SATA3.0

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

New system upgrade: Question about SATA3.0

Post by JMEaT »

Built a new system (Win7 x64) and followed the Mobo manual to connect the HDD to the proper SATA 6Gb/s port, using proper cable, but HDTune seems to report it isn't running SATA 6Gb/s, it's running the old school 3G/bs... am I reading this correctly?

The HDD is a WD 1TB drive that supports SATA 3.0 and the Mobo is a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3. All drivers installed. It seems to be burst reading around 130MBs... so it isn't too bad. Just wondering what I may have done wrong.

Any help is appreciated!

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Check and see if the drive has a jumper that forces it into SATA-II mode.

Otherwise its not really an issue anyway since mechanical HDDs are still practically a decade away from hitting the interface limits of SATA-II, SATA-III is pretty much only useful for SSDs.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Did you turn on AHCI in the CMOS before you install the drive and installed the OS? Enabling it after install can cause the OS to blue screen on you. To fix it visit. Enabling AHCI will unlock some of the advance features of SATA.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Thanks for the response guys, the drive was marketed as a SATA III drive so I actually didn't check the jumper... I will tonight!

And yes, I enabled AHCI in BIOS before installing Win7 x64. The device manager top tree reads something along the lines of: \"AHCI x64 Computer\"