Internet connection trouble - windows xp fresh install

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Internet connection trouble - windows xp fresh install

Post by Birdseye »

Strangely enough, I've been unable to get the internet working on a fresh install on my dell inspiron 5150 laptop. I just swapped for a faster hard drive, and I've ran through the typical internet connection setup I'm used to, but I haven't been able to get a web browser or email to work, or see other users on the network. I know I must be missing some small little detail or change from 2000 to XP. The internet connection icon in the lower righthand corner shows that I do have a connetion, I have everything set to auto detect IP etc. just like all the other computers in the house who have the internet working fine (and this laptop used to as well).

Anything I might be missing that's worth a try?

Birds
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Open a console window and type 'ipconfig /all'. If you have a 169.254.*.* address, you are not contacting the DHCP server for whatever dumb reason XP has for not doing that sometimes. In the event that this is the problem, first type 'ipconfig /renew' and wait until it either gives you an actual ip address or an error. If you get the error, try physically unplugging the ethernet card a few times, as well as right clicking the actual connection in the network connections control panel and changing state from enable to disabled and vice versa. It might get it to contact the dhcp server like it should.

Dunno why XP does that sometimes. Its annoying but so infrequent Ive never bothered to hunt for a permanent fix.

In the event that you have an actual IP address, I'd suggest tinkering with the built in Internet Connection Firewall, altho that thing should be, by default, configured to ask when some program wants to use the internet.

Other than that I have no other suggestions at this time.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Make sure you have the proper DNS addresses in your connection configuration.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

I did as you said vader, but the box appeared for about 1/30th of a second, then disappeared.

Bash, we're on auto detect for IP and DNS at the whole house, and on this laptop it previously worked fine, but on another install.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Birds, don't use *run* for Vader's suggestion, use a DOS box. Also, as far as I know you still have to manually input the DNS addresses for Internet use since those are external servers.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

If you have a router, turn off your PC, then unplug the router's power, replug the router, let it finish it's boot and then reboot your PC.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Vader wrote:Open a console window and type...
Start->run->CMD
Honest Bob
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Honest Bob »

Turn off XP's built in firewall. Should be in the properties for the network connection.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

I've rebooted the router and modem several times, but it shouldn't matter as other computers in the house are using the net fine. Also firewall is turned off, tried turning it on and off.

I did the ipconfig /all in the CMD line, but it just said "Windows IP configuration" and nothing else
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Well, the second driver reinstall worked for an unknown reason. Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. Not having the DBB in my own room is like withdrawal, you know ;)