Just attached second monitor, made my first go dim... huh?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Just attached second monitor, made my first go dim... huh?

Post by Thenior »

Hey everyone,

Running a GTS 250 card. I had a Samsung P2350 as my primary, looks great, really vivid colors.

I just bought a Samsung P2450. When I plug it in, it makes my P2350 (the original) go dim. I tried tweaking the nVidia drivers a bit, but they didn't seem to do the trick.

I unplugged the new P2450, and bam, the original got bright again.

Nothing in the actual Monitor settings changed (it's still at 100% brightness).
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Just attached second monitor, made my first go dim... hu

Post by Foil »

I'm guessing the port you're plugging the new one into is the primary, and the OS is just popping the desktop over to that one.

Have you gone into display settings, and told it to "Extend the desktop"?

[Edit: Just re-read your post... when you say "go dim", you're talking about brightness, not the displayed image?]
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Yes, the brightness itself goes down.

Just a note, I am using dual DVI outputs.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

You know what - I think the new screen is just way brighter. I'm doing some driver updates, but it seems odd that the same model of monitor, only 1" bigger, would be so much brighter.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Thenior wrote:You know what - I think the new screen is just way brighter. I'm doing some driver updates, but it seems odd that the same model of monitor, only 1" bigger, would be so much brighter.

That should be easy to test, if you can get help- turn the new monitor so you can't see it, and then have your friend plug/unplug it while you watch the first one.

If it really is happening, I'd check the power supply and make sure you're not overloading your strip/UPS.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

snoopy wrote:I'd check the power supply and make sure you're not overloading your strip/UPS.
x2!

While you're doing this, keep smelling around for melting plastic! Don't leave it on and unattended until you solve this.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

New monitors also frequently ship with the brightness set at or near maximum (because when people are looking at display models set up in stores, the brighter ones sell better).
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

When you turn it on, set the brightness/contrast to 50%, and set the color temperature to the same temp of your other monitor. Then take a little time to calibrate it. Rinse and repeat for your other monitor. When running multiple monitors, you want the picture to look as close as possible to the same.

Like Krom said, by default they come in "ZOMG SO BRIGHT IT BURNS YOUR RETINAS!" demo mode, to get you to notice it. Give it a proper calibration, and you'll be fine.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams