Your favorite brands of laptops that don't suck

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Your favorite brands of laptops that don't suck

Post by Burlyman »

would you please tell me of some good brands of laptops that don't suck :)

If you can't think of any brands that you like, please tell me brands of pre-built desktops that you consider less sucky than usual :)

I usually don't bother with prebuilt computers especially if it's a desktop, but I don't even know of any brands that I'd like if I decide not to build anything.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Your favorite brands of laptops that don't suck

Post by Krom »

Laptops:
Good: Asus
Bad: HP
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by captain_twinkie »

MSI is good
Also a fan of Dell
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I have an Asus that's about 4 years old. My wife never turns it off and my kids have spilled a soft drink right over the keys. Still kicking.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Krom wrote:Bad: HP
2x.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

seems like newegg is out of stock of a lot of things >_<
Freakster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Freakster »

If price doesn't matter? Then I'd go with Alienware, the issue? You'd also have to have some sort of supreme cooling system if it's destiny is a total gaming rig. Hence why it's pricey.

Other then this? I usually go Dell, and Asus is good too.

But in all honesty? If price doesn't matter, and you have the smarts, build your own. That's what I'll be doing once I have money.
This line is true!
The line above this line, is false.

My in-game name is Freakster as well.

Warning: Use of improper English imminant, it's not my primary language.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Freakster wrote:If price doesn't matter? Then I'd go with Alienware, the issue? You'd also have to have some sort of supreme cooling system if it's destiny is a total gaming rig. Hence why it's pricey.

Other then this? I usually go Dell, and Asus is good too.

But in all honesty? If price doesn't matter, and you have the smarts, build your own. That's what I'll be doing once I have money.
Laptop? Really? I've never heard of someone building their own laptop.

Please don't buy mac. I have quite a bit of ASUS hardware in my desktop, and it runs like a champ.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Speaking as someone that just did a factory install for someone, avoid Dell like the plague! Crapware galore! D: (I spent more time removing Dell's bull★■◆●, than I did installing, updating the OS, and installing software the customer wanted! I ★■◆● you not!) Seriously, have a look at HP's entertainment line. They're actually very decent! My dv7 (dv7-2277-cl) lasts a little over two hours on battery, with wifi enabled and watching either a dvd or blu-ray. I've had it since December of last year, and I've yet to have a problem with it. *knocks on wood*
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Freakster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Freakster »

snoopy wrote:Laptop? Really? I've never heard of someone building their own laptop.
Yeah, it's actually interesting. It's harder, and sometimes very expensive, but it's possible. You can find anything to be the case really.
MD-2389 wrote:Speaking as someone that just did a factory install for someone, avoid Dell like the plague! Crapware galore! D:
That's just how windows is. If you're referring to hardware, the laptop hardware isn't half bad actually, especially with some of the newer series. You just need to install better drivers really.
MD-2389 wrote:HP
Well... There's one for hp. There's always at least one.
This line is true!
The line above this line, is false.

My in-game name is Freakster as well.

Warning: Use of improper English imminant, it's not my primary language.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I got a dell mini10v... I was skeptical at first because of how cheap it was. But it's been on every single day since I got it and it sleeps instead of being turned off. So it's basically been on for over a year. It goes where ever I go and has to ride in my backpack.

I've dropped it several times while it was on, though I try to be careful with it.

The only parts that are dead are the mic and camera. Everything else is in perfect shape.

They don't make the mini10v with a solid state drive any more.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

heh.... a "mini" without a solid-state drive x_x

I want to build a laptop but I no longer remember where to get all the parts. I had a list of vendors, but I lost the magazine that had it. >_<

anyone have any preference for vendors of pre-built desktops that don't suck?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Freakster wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:Speaking as someone that just did a factory install for someone, avoid Dell like the plague! Crapware galore! D:
That's just how windows is. If you're referring to hardware, the laptop hardware isn't half bad actually, especially with some of the newer series. You just need to install better drivers really.
I'm referring to all the bull★■◆● software, that they like to bundle. Why would I uninstall laptop hardware?! o_O
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Seriously, any OEM that does not include a O/S Disk with separate APPS disk needs to be wiped after creation of backup disk.... otherwise hide the apps disk and wipe it as soon as you get it home

Every MFG has crappy laptops... you get what you pay for

No access to fan/ram/battery(CMOS) = good indicator of CRAP!

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

BUBBALOU wrote:No access to fan/ram/battery(CMOS) = good indicator of CRAP!
Yeah... that's the boat I'm stuck in.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I've found both ASUS and Acer make decent laptops. Newegg and Tigerdirect had some pretty good deals on their core-i7 laptops in early December.

HP (formerly Compaq) sucks.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

x2 on ASUS
I really want a the eee pc1000, I think it's called, which comes standard with a ssd and meant to run Linux.

edit:
Here's a link
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

HP has the highest rate of failure according to various warranty insurance companies out there. Granted laptops fare pretty badly overall, but I think I heard something to the tune of two thirds of all HP laptops are dead by the third year.

My Asus laptop had a defective nvidia 7600 go GPU that died shortly after the second year, but even though it was out of warranty Asus replaced the motherboard for free.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

notebook computers (laptop is a term used prior to burn lawsuits) have never been built with the ideology to be of any value past the second year of operation.

Leasing a notebook for 3 or more years is not cost effective for your business (or sanity)

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom wrote:HP has the highest rate of failure according to various warranty insurance companies out there. Granted laptops fare pretty badly overall, but I think I heard something to the tune of two thirds of all HP laptops are dead by the third year.

My Asus laptop had a defective nvidia 7600 go GPU that died shortly after the second year, but even though it was out of warranty Asus replaced the motherboard for free.
Better than HP did. They and Nvidia had to be sued for customer recompense. I'll see if I get another laptop out of this circus. It may end up being an old Compaq or HP with Vista (gawd I hope not) from reading the legal settlement. Not a good exchange. I should have gotten an Asus originally.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

BUBBALOU wrote:notebook computers (laptop is a term used prior to burn lawsuits) have never been built with the ideology to be of any value past the second year of operation.

Leasing a notebook for 3 or more years is not cost effective for your business (or sanity)
we need the cheezburger bill. ^_^
Your sig is the unofficial guideline... regarding the human race. ^_~
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Spend $1,500.00 + on a Toshiba and you wont be disappointed. An ASUS is good as well... HP used to be a workhorse now they are just fail. ACER gives you lots of bang for the buck and has fair to poor quality... you get what you pay for and their warranty process is lets say less than stellar.

You need this to game? Play the Sims, HTPC? What is your budget?

Post back and we can help find something nice for you.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Just my $0.02...

We've had a few HP's @ work, and like everyone here says, something fails on it. We've had to the get the motherboard replaced twice on one of them - the other had the HD fail within a year.

We also have a cheap dell, but it's been trucking along for over a year now. After we did some research, we found that:
[*]HP's laptops sucks. Period. Desktops are great though (lots of bang for your buck).
[*]Asus has the best support, and pretty good laptops.
[*]Toshiba has meh support, but a very low failure rate. A few years ago, Toshiba absolutely sucked, so I stay away from them anyway.
[*]Panasonic may have the lowest failure rate among laptops. We've had two toughbooks at work, neither of them have ever had anything go wrong. But dang, they are expensive.
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

I'm a fan of my Lenovo t400s. Pretty powerful and very light. I didn't get a great video card so its not the best for gaming but for what I use it for, its great. I've had it about a year now without any issues using it for several hours daily.

[ Post made via Android ] Image