Google redirect virus

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Google redirect virus

Post by ReadyMan »

My wife has the Google redirect virus on her laptop.
Is there any free program available to delete this virus?

Thanks!

RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: Google redirect virus

Post by Isaac »

I'm not a windows user, but this sounded good to me:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5842581_remove- ... virus.html
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

From the looks of the site, it seems that after removing the google redirect you should do a full scan for viruses and spyware/malware. Also, do what you can to secure the computer- it sounds like the machine needs to have a security weakness to begin with for the redirect virus to make its way onto your machine.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Spyware Doctor wouldn't be the first choice for removing infections. The detection rate isn't all that great. Scans take forever, even for quick scan. The software has become to bloated over the years. Even with the trial, it will not remove anything until you pay for it. Not worth the time! Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes, or even SuperAntiSpyware would be better choice.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

No single tool will always get the job done; its always best to run several to get the most coverage. Once in a while I have to use rkill first to terminate some annoying process, but I generally start out with Malwarebytes because it is fast. Then I follow up with spybot search and destroy, a virus scanner, the microsoft malware removal tool, and or superantispyware/combofix/etc.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Just curious if it would work, I had her restore her laptop to Feb. 2nd, and it cleared up the virus.

I had her buy TrendMicro Titanium, which has a webthreat/spyware/virus detector. She had no virus protector before this.

I'll keep Malwarebytes in mind if she gets problems again.

Thanks for the input!
Fighting villains is what I do!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

For the record, if you're talking about "system restore", I doubt you're in the clear just yet. There are quite a few bugs that infect restore points, for that very reason.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams