Need mobo w/onboard video recommendation

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Ages
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Need mobo w/onboard video recommendation

Post by Ages »

A friend of mine system bit the dust. He wants me to put something cheap together for him. He only surfs the net so he doesn't need anything major. I'd like to go Athlon, probably an XP 2500.

Which Athlon mobo would you recommend that has good onboard video, onboard sound, onboard nic that will connect to DSL, and that has USB 2.0?

Also need a memory recommendation. The system just needs to be reliable and run stable.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

any nforce2 mobo with video.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

seconds flip
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Something like <a href=http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... =1>this</a> ought to do fine.

As for memory, 256 to 512mb of PC2700 should be enough. If you get two sticks you can utilize the dual channel memory feature of nForce2 boards, but for your friend's needs it sounds like overkill. Crucial memory is good stuff, I've used their memory in several of my systems and havent had any problems.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Another vote for an Nforce2 board. You really can't get anything better with all the builtin hardware you are asking for.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

nforce. Easily upgradable should he decide to actually put a card in. Pretty damn good performance as well.