Laptop standby problem

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Plague
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Laptop standby problem

Post by Plague »

P4M 1.7Ghz
512MB DDR RAM
20GB HDD
GeForce4 Go 420 32MB
Windows XP Pro (all service packs, all critical updates)

I decided to try letting my computer go into standby mode (after 30 minutes idle) after giving it a format. It worked for a while, but then began to do a full boot every time. So I decide to turn it off and just leave it on all day like I did before. I turned off all the standby options in Power Options, yet it still goes into standby after a set period of time. What gives?
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Maybe go into bios options and turning off power saving options there?
Plague
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Plague »

I checked that, there aren't any.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Check in windows power options, make sure the changes took, it overrides BIOS.

Try setting it to always on.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

What brand of laptop is it?

My suggestion is to check the manufacturer's website for their latest power management software. If you did a format, you would have to reload this software after installing Windows.

Some laptops use proprietary power management software, and some use software that works with windows power management and adds functionality above what base Windows will offer to taylor it to your specific laptop.
Plague
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Plague »

Sorry I waited so long to bring this up again, been busy. Anyway, it's still bugging me, so:

It's a Chembook 3020E Diamond. I don't remember having to use any other software other than Windows to adjust my power properties before I formatted. If I can't resolve this myself within a couple of days then I'm calling them.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

I looked at the chembook site, and they don't seem to have support. Did the laptop come with a driver CD?
Plague
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Plague »

It did come with a driver CD, which I installed in it's entirety upon reformatting. ChemUSA does have support, which I contacted this afternoon. If they find the problem, I'll post it here.