New home for 2 laptop batteries

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

New home for 2 laptop batteries

Post by Tunnelcat »

What can I do with 2 HP DV 9000 laptop batteries that are essentially brand new and still work fine? I don't have the laptop anymore and would like to sell them instead of recycling them. It'd be a waste to dump them. Where would be a good place to do that? They were expensive little buggers and someone might like to use them.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: New home for 2 laptop batteries

Post by Krom »

Check the existing listings on ebay and see if they sell at a price that is worth your time.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yeah, eBay or Amazon would probably be your best bet.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, I'll have to get around to getting an eBay account. I've been kind of lazy lately, but I've got other stuff to sell, so since winter's coming, I'll have to break down and do it. :roll:

I hadn't thought about Amazon though. Thanks TG. I'll look into that as well. :)
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

You sure their good? I just happen to need two. :)
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

As far as I know. They've been sitting around in my carrying case for a couple of years without getting charged. They are about 5 years old now since I used the laptop for 3 years before it died. I don't have a way to charge them now either since I've already turned in my defunct HP laptop during the Nvidia Lawsuit Settlement, so I can't tell you for sure if they're still OK. Other than being discharged from sitting around, they are not physiclaly damaged. :?:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Two years? That might be a problem actually; lithium batteries are pretty good for storage, but not that good. Unless you kept them in a ridiculously cold freezer the whole time, odds are they have been completely depleted; once they are that deeply discharged they will probably never charge again.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

I'll give them a try for the right price. :wink:
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

VonVulcan... you would be paying for toxic waste. Those batteries had three years use, then sat discharging for two years. I will bet dollars to donuts they will never charge and you will be stuck with disposing of them. Battery rebuilding shops may take the batteries for free tunnelcat.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Von, my neighbor had a compatible laptop he was OK with for trying to charge up a couple of old batteries, so I gave it a whirl to see if either of them had any life. Sorry, no luck, both deader 'n a doornails, so I guess it's off to the recycling center for both of them. I guess Krom's right, lithium batteries don't age well if they've been discharged for a long time. :(
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

not just that....

but lithium ion batteries have a shelf life of roughly THREE years. and i'm willing to bet they were stored with a full charge too, amirite?

because storing them with a full charge, as laptops tend to do... kills them faster than feeding rats a load of cyanide.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Here is a geeky but not extremely technical article that outlines some info about what does in lithium batteries:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _batteries
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ferno wrote:not just that....

but lithium ion batteries have a shelf life of roughly THREE years. and i'm willing to bet they were stored with a full charge too, amirite?

because storing them with a full charge, as laptops tend to do... kills them faster than feeding rats a load of cyanide.
Yep, they were fully charged when the laptop died. Never got around to dealing with them after that because I was so bummed out that the damn laptop died when it was only 3 years old.

Thanks all for the info on lithium batteries everyone. I'll try to store the one battery that came with my replacement laptop at a partial charge and not deep discharge the thing.

Hmmmm. How about camera batteries? Should I not keep them fully charged either when storing them?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

tunnelcat wrote:Hmmmm. How about camera batteries? Should I not keep them fully charged either when storing them?
are they lithium based? then you have your answer.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom's link answered my question. :mrgreen:
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

tunnelcat wrote:Krom's link answered my question. :mrgreen:
you already had your answer if you flipped the battery over too. ;)
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sdfgeoff »

Hmm. I have a laptop from 2001 that I got for 5 dollars from a friend. (hard-drive broken and they wanted to upgrade)
They had a similar case, whereby they lost the battery in 2003.
Then, after giving it to me, they found it.
It still works fine, with a good 2 hours run per charge. Not bad after 7 years in storage.
Eh?