Laptops that can do Firewire Bus power

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Laptops that can do Firewire Bus power

Post by Birdseye »

Hi

I just bought a new sound card to do portable recording with. The website said bus powered and touted use with laptops. It said requires 6 pin firewire, which i have, but it turns out pcmcia adaptors don't do bus power.

The entire point of me buying this card was for the bus power so I can do portable field recordingh without carrying a motorcycle battery and power inverter everywhere.

After a little research I found that even many onboard firewire ports on laptops won't do bus power

So my question is, besides macintoshs, do any pc laptops do 6 pin firewire bus power? I may be willing to sell my current laptop which is worth around 600-700 bucks for another laptop as long as its around the same price, maybe $800 max (used or cheap ebay).
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

all laptops are going to be 4 pin firewire. Even desktops that have a 6 pin cards need a borg connector(floppy type) connected to the card to provide power.

get a Firewire hub
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Well I did some digging, finally I have found a notebook that has both a 4 pin and a 6 pin(powered) Firewire ports.
This is the first one, it's sold as a Media laptop

It's from Gateway I will find out what motherboard it has in it to see what other MFG's you be using also, which should be shortly.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Bubba, thank you, if you find out ANY info on this topic of firewire bus power, I would greatly appreciate it.

Unfortunately anything I have found, including the gateway, is too pricey for me. My max is around $1200.