Recommend me a gamepad!

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Recommend me a gamepad!

Post by Asrale »

Of course one that works with D3, but that's the only "flight sim" type game I'm going to use it with. There are some other games I have/going to buy with gamepads in mind, like NFS Underground and PoP Sands of Time/Splinter Cell. Unless someone offers a dissenting opinion that a joystick would work for action and racing games... Image
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

PS2 controller with a PS2->USB converter is a pretty safe bet. If you don't like the PS2 controller, Logitech makes several gamepads that a lot of people seem to like.

I had a saitek p880 gamepad which I thought was rather nice, but for some strange reason the left analog stick lost its calibration right after I got it. That was perhaps a fluke, but something to keep in mind.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I have a Belkin Nostromo N50 SpeedPad and it absolutely rocks ... Lotsa folks around here use this baby.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

Saitek X45 http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/x45.htm is an excellent joystick/throttle combo, 8 buttons, 4 axes, 4 hat buttons, and 2 rotational axes. Very robust.I've broken every other kind of joystick in less than a month (not this one 6 months and counting)
It's a little on the expensive side though at $79.04 US.
Perfect for D3 and Mechwarrior, don't know about racing games though
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I have a Nyko Airflo gamepad. Its basically a Ps2 controller clone.

Do NOT get the Logitech dual Analog stick. I tried it and its D-Pad was impossible to use.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

The logitech wingman cordless is what Im currently using, the rumblepads are also good.

Tho, you'd find yourself not actually using the Pad much in PC games.

the keyboard/mouse controls for splinter cell are very well laid out, and POP's works very well.
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

Well I stopped by the local CompUSA and EB to see what's out there, noticed a whole bunch of PS2/PSX clone controllers. Thought that would be a good idea, a clone controller (since the PS2 is pervasive and tons of games are obviously designed for its controller), until I thought of D3...would one of these things be able to handle the complex 6DOF of D3?

Also considering Saitek's wireless P3000, except I read a review that criticized it for lacking "throttle control." What's that? Sounds like something a game like D3 would need...