DSL to wireless device?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

DSL to wireless device?

Post by ReadyMan »

My wife won an iPad mini from her work, however, neither one of us has an exisiting apple device, and my home network is a DSL line with a cabled router that powers 2 computers and a printer.
I've tried to stay away from wireless setups in the past as I prefer cabled networks.
Sadly, her device has no network plug, and is made for wireless networks.

Is there a device that I can purchase to plug into a usb port on her laptop that then sends a net connection wirelessly?

If not, what device do you recommend so that I can get her ipad mini online?

Eventually down the road, I want to get a Surface Pro tablet, so I'll likely need some kind of wireless device for that as well (I'll probably also get a usb->network cable adapter when I get the tablet).

thanks!
Fighting villains is what I do!
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: DSL to wireless device?

Post by fliptw »

the easiest thing would be to straight-up replace your current router with one that has wireless.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

There are USb wifi keys but you need a wifi router for it. Like Flip said, buy a wifi router and you won't need that USB wifi adapter.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Does the laptop have wifi? If it does, you can probably use the wifi adapter from the laptop to establish a peer to peer network and give the ipad net access through that, but it'll probably be complicated and/or tedious getting it set up.

I'd second the "get a wifi router" as the best option, while you are at it you could get a router that supports ipv6 so you won't even have to worry about that when it comes around.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Buy a cheap wireless router plug it into that fourth port after you set it up as a switch

Or get a DSL wireless gateway, still has 4 network ports and wireless
(Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router with DSL Modem DGN2200)

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I bought a Samsung blueray player the other day that ONLY uses wireless to update. o_0

Had to buy a new router! :| Of course my old non-wireless was/is 10 years old....
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Thank you for the replies!
I like the idea of keeping my wired network running, but having the option of connecting wirelessly.

I searched for a wireless router/modem and found this link:

But it didnt get very good reviews.

Any other good recommendations for a wireless/wired router/modem?
One that that supports ipv6?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I'm not a big fan of Netgear DSL modems, the ones I tried usually would drop my connection once every hour or so. They also get hot as hell and can't connect reliably on my croppy line. So I ended up with separate devices for the modem and router -- currently using a TP-LINK modem, TD-8817 along with a Netgear router, WNDR4500. No complaints, very reliable :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I believe there's another option I'm not sure has been mentioned: there are wireless access points that you can plug into the router via an Ethernet cable, and then connect to them with wireless devices. I don't know whether it'd work out cheaper than just replacing the router with something that has a wireless antenna built in though - they don't usually cost all that much these days.

Using a laptop for the same purpose should more or less work (most of them have wireless radios built in, I suspect yours already does), but it's much less convenient since it needs to be running and in range every time you want it. I don't know about you, but I turn laptops off occasionally :) It does have the advantage that you probably don't need to buy anything to make it work of course.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

All WAPs are routers that lack the switch, for around the same price.

What bubba said is probably the best way if you are stuck with a modem/router combo.

I'd personally get a stand-alone modem and a router, but most ISP's are lazy.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I recommend Bubba's solution (just plug a wireless router into your existing switch), as well.

-----

Off-topic, but I recently had sort of the opposite problem (too many wireless routers) earlier this week:

I upgraded from my trusty old (very old) DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem to a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Worked fine, but the problem was that it came with its own internal wireless router and firewall, enabled by default. Not only was this an unwanted feature, it was actually causing routing issues between the outside and my existing firewall/router. Fortunately, rather than going to the trouble of dropping my current router and recreating the routing-config on the new one, I found out that the modem could be put into "bridge mode" (essentially a pass-through), which works beautifully.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Depends -- if the current router/switch is 100Mb/s and you are not on a shoestring budget I would suggest to upgrade to something more modern (1Gb/s, 300+, 5GHz, etc)
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

I have been using Bubba's approach for 1.5 years with good results. WAPs were all overpriced relative to wireless routers when I made my decision, so I got a Belkin N150 (F6D4230-4) for $20.00 including shipping after consulting the manual online and making sure it could be configured as a WAP. I only turn it on when I need to use a laptop at a remote location on the property, so it's off 99% of the time. Newer units that provide Wireless N support can be had at times for the same price (perhaps less). My version of the Belkin N150 really only provides proper Wireless G support.

WAPs can provide some features that a wireless router may not provide such as the ability to bridge two separate wireless networks, but you seem to have needs similar to mine, so those features likely wouldn't apply to you.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

This seems the best way to go. I wont need wifi very often.
I'm using an old Linksys router with a westell dsl modem.
Any links to a recommend wireless router that I can plug into my current setup?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If I were shopping for a router to use right now for myself, it would be this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833320091 But that might be a bit overkill for your needs.

Something like this could probably work fine for you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833320038

Although there are cheaper options all the way down to $30, but you usually have to give up the gigabit LAN/WAN as you go down in price, and if you ever transfer files between PCs you will definitely want to stick with gigabit: 115 MB/sec gets the job done a LOT sooner than 11 MB/sec.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

The ASUS RT-N66U is $140 but it'll fill all my router and wireless needs right (it has 4 ports for me to use for wired connectivity)?

I'm wondering if my current setup is slowing me down, and if so, I dont mind the $140 price.

I would plug my dsl modem into this router and just use it like my current linksys (with the added wifi) correct?

Thanks for the links!
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Readyman you'll appreciate any of the routers suggested that have a "MEDIA SERVER"

This gives you the ability to connect a dedicated USB hard drive to the router to store your videos and music an photos that can be accessed from any device connected to the network "via DLNA" including an Xbox or smart hub TV

It's a good way to get the best bang for the buck and future proof your network

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Yes, you can plug any of those into your current modem (or dsl modem/router combo in bridge mode) and use them just like your current linksys. As far as your current setup slowing you down, it depends on the age of the linksys you are using, but on DSL it is pretty unlikely. If you were using a 100 meg cable connection I'd say it'd be more likely an old router would slow you down, but DSL isn't usually that fast so even relatively slow routers can keep up. Although it is worth mentioning that the RT-N66U is extremely fast and won't hold you back unless you were using nothing short of googles 1 gigabit fiber internet.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com is a pretty handy site for reading up on routers, they do a fairly good job of showing what a router can handle both wired and wireless. The RT-N66U is pretty popular over there, and is near the top of the charts in performance. It can also run DD-WRT as an alternative to the stock firmware if you have specific needs.

Asus did put out a draft 802.11ac (aka "gigabit wifi") router called the RT-AC66U, that is otherwise almost identical to the RT-N66U, but the 802.11ac standard hasn't been finalized yet so there may be future compatibility problems with it (although the particular SoC and radios in the RT-AC66U are some of the first in line to be certified for the final 802.11ac standard so it may be fine). Also rumor has it that the firmware for the AC66U is pretty buggy at the moment. I have an older wifi draft N router that I got before the N standard was finalized and it doesn't work very well in N mode so I have it set to wifi G mode only because it was so buggy in mixed mode.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

No no no... Keep your existing Setup. Just get a Wifi Access Point..

It keeps the units separate (instead of wifi/router combo), best part is you can put it anywhere so your wifi coverage is more flexible.

The unit linked below is $40, has detachable antennas, and comes with a PoE injector so you can mount it anywhere and won't need a power source near the unit:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=372
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Just saw this post Raven -- I was about to order the ASUS RT-N66U for the two tablets in the family.
Any opinion on Raven's idea of the wireless access point? $40 is better than $140!
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Anyone have an opinion? An access point vs. another router?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Just getting a wifi router would still be easier to set up, although an access point isn't that different, it just uses up one of your wired ports.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I would replace the router. Newer routers will perform better with streaming media than older ones, and fewer devices=better (usually). Keep the old one for a backup.

When a customer gets a router from us, we've been giving them TP-Link routers, and for the most part, they seem to work real well for the number of them we put out, the failure rate is really pretty low.

This one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833704039

Some of the older revisions had issues where the wireless side would lock up, or just not work at all. Firmware fixed that, and the ones we get now have been pretty solid, Its been months since I've had to replace one, and they're compatible with DD-WRT if you want to tinker with aftermarket firmware. Can't beat it for the price, either.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Thanks for the input.

I think I'll stick with the Asus.
We're debating switching over to cable internet. Our local cable company is bundling
TV cable with internet cable (50 mb dl speeds to start, and if I dont want to spend the money to
keep that, I can get 1 mb ul and 21-50 dl.)

That's way faster than what I have now...DSL at 468 kbps upload and 4.34 mbps download.

I seem to recall researching things a while back and cable wasnt the be-all-end-all that it claimed to be.
Is cable the way to go now?
(and will the Asus RT-N66U work with cable, or do I have to go another route?)

Thanks again!

RM
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

An Asus RT-N66U will work with DSL, cable, wireless, or even fiber (or anything else that uses Ethernet), so no need to worry about that.

DSL=Phone companies are mostly throwing in the towel in favor of much more profitable wireless, so while cable is far from the be-all-end-all way to go (a distinction which is held exclusively by fiber to the home) it is often the only real option over 3 mbits available in the vast majority of the US. The good news is DOCSIS 3 rollouts should be covering most of the cable footprint, enabling speeds as high as 300 mbps assuming the nodes aren't too busy/congested. The better news is that the DOCSIS 3.1 standard has been recently finalized and should begin rolling out within 2-5 years, enabling speeds as high as 10 gbps download / 4 gbps upload, and similar to D3.0 the upgrade should be quick and inexpensive for the cable company. The bad news is that cable companies are almost all regional monopolies so there is next to zero competitive pressure on them to keep prices in check, expect D3.1 speeds to be charged at an enormous premium if you are anywhere outside of google fibers reach.

I say fiber is the be-all-end-all way to go, because it was able to deliver 10 gbps symmetrical without even breaking a sweat 30 years ago, and today can deliver a mind boggling 1.05 million gigabits per second (over distances unimaginable for electrical [cable/dsl] signalling).
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Yea, but try to find commercialized equipment to transmit at 1 million gigabits ;)

The key to Docsis 3.1 will be to phase out all the old analog channels and actually get them off the system, to make room for all that OFDM space. Many systems that have gone total digital, have done a Digital Overlay, using churn to phase out customers on the analog system until it gets to a point where you can afford to actively switch people. This is still an ongoing process even for the larger ops. Then, after that, to get the larger upstream, all the amplifiers will have to be replaced to accommodate the higher mid-split (at 200mhz, instead of 50mhz) for return. So, it won't be as cheap as going to Docsis 3, to get the full capability of it anyway. Of course, a lot of operators aren't even building out coax anymore, many new line extensions are all FTTH because its about the same expense now (depending on the system deployed).
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Finally got my Asus RT-N66U today!
Any tips/thoughts for the setup?

(once we get things up and running, we'll switch our dsl to cable and then see how things go with streaming with the faster connection)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

ReadyMan wrote:Finally got my Asus RT-N66U today!
Any tips/thoughts for the setup?
Set a strong password on the wireless, make sure it is in WPA2 only mode and the cipher is AES only (do not allow TKIP or mixed modes), disable WPS. You can also disable the guest ssid if you don't plan on using it.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Got it. Thanks Krom!
I dont know much of what that stuff does, but followed your suggestions (only left the guest sharing on, since the tablets can use the network to share stuff).
Setup was a snap...super easy.