Office Network

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Office Network

Post by FireFox »

Q: What more can/need I do?

I've installed a network on my works PC's today. By that I mean installed all the cards, cables and crap and setup a standard "you see me, I see you" network and printer sharing and so forth.

The whole idea is to centralise our works files all on one PC (mine) and use only one printer (copier/printer/fax/scanner machine) that is in my office.

This basicly cuts out backups of four PC's to only one and stuff like that. But is there anything more I can do to make things run smoother and easier.

Recommendations, suggestions are more than welcome. I'm still a rather newbie when it comes to "advanced" networking.

Two PC's running 98SE and the other two XP Pro.

Network is 100base connected via an 8 port switch.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

If it's doing what you want and you aren't concerned about security, then it should be OK.
Honest Bob
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Honest Bob »

Share a broadband internet connection?
FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FireFox »

No security isn't that much of an issue right now because it is only internally and the only internet connection we have in the office is a 56k (no broadband here) that I might share only between the pc that has the modem and mine to download e-mail when needed (internet connection would be 10 minutes max).

If I was more concerned about security what should I be looking at? Just so that I'd know.

Thanks
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

Put up a Linux server instead of dragging your own box down. An old P11 350 would work just fine with 512k of ram.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Cuda68-2:
Put up a Linux server instead of dragging your own box down. An old P11 350 would work just fine with 512k of ram.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, i second the p11 with 512k of ram
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Not even the P 1 ran @ 350. Image
Honest Bob
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Honest Bob »

I think by "P11" they mean a Pentium II or Pentium 2. Image
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

Image Yea I did
FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FireFox »

Ok help me out on this one then too please.

Linux!
I've only heard about it and seen a lot of people mention it in posts and so forth. So what is the big diffs, how does it work and were can I get it. I've read somewere something about it being "open source"? So is it available somewhere for free or what?

I've been doing some digging myself now and it seems that Mandrake Linux 9.2 is what I should be looking at or am I totally in the dark here with no flashlight at the edge of a cliff?

EDIT: Ok I'll be the one to link myself Duh!
ubb/Forum8/HTML/006466.html

thanks
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

512m of ram might be a little more useful then 512k or ram as well Image
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

Smoothwall is a pre-setup linux router application. All you have to do is burn the ISO to CD, toss it in the system, boot from CD, and follow the setup instructions. When you're done, you can configure it through a web-based interface like most popular routers (Linksys, etc). I use it and it's great. =) Easy to use and install. It has support for PPP (dialup).

Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

I prefer Mandrake, but make no mistake, a little research will be requried before implementing it.

First does Linux support your hardware. If you are considering Mandrake go here http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/hardware.php3

The second is the file share. That is done with a program that will be loaded called Samba. Since security is not a concern it will be fairly easy to implement. But you should do a little backround reading here http://samba.org

If you choose Mandrake there are also forums to assist you here http://www.mandrakeclub.com/modules.php ... latt_Forum You do not need to join to ask questions, but search the forums first for your question to see if it has been ansered already.

You can also email me directly and I will be glad to help another MS user go in the right direction Image

Linux rules the beast and the beast has no clue!
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by STRESSTEST:
512m of ram might be a little more useful then 512k or ram as well Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crap, they used to have 512k a long time ago, but 512m is what I meant. Guess my age is showing Image
Honest Bob
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Honest Bob »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Verran:
<b> Smoothwall is a pre-setup linux router application. All you have to do is burn the ISO to CD, toss it in the system, boot from CD, and follow the setup instructions. When you're done, you can configure it through a web-based interface like most popular routers (Linksys, etc). I use it and it's great. =) Easy to use and install. It has support for PPP (dialup).

Image </b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, that sounds like one handy tool!
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Being the single access point for files on the network will turn your machine into a dog unless you have VERY fast drives and a VERY fast CPU and LOTS of RAM. Typically, network activity will cost you in the region of up to 25% CPU ("up to" clearly including lesser numbers!) and if the file-drive is also your OS drive, then expect to have your OS performance suffer also.

Surely, it's better to have even a cheap PC loaded with big-fast Hard Drives, than drag down your own box?
FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FireFox »

Thanks for all the info. Yea today was the first day that everyone ran on the network after I sorted out all the files and crap. And yes I did notice a hit in my PC performance as well but not anything that will send me through the roof at this moment.

Seeing that the files we're sharing at the moment is only office documents and all and my PC has a 1.2gHz Celeron CPU with 128mb RAM it will just have to do.

I am looking at getting a PC for this purpose alone but my budget did not allow it at this time.

So while I'm still waiting for the boss to adjust my bugdet I'm gonna try and get myself up to date with Linux and setting up a server and so forth.