Botched updates AGAIN!

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Botched updates AGAIN!

Post by Tunnelcat »

Foil wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:...stuck at 32% complete for about 2 minutes...
I noticed that on one of my machines as well. While it was working on that update, the power to the USB devices on that machine went on/off a couple of times, as if that update was resetting the USB controllers. Now I'm curious to know which update that was. :)
That's exactly what my gaming rig did, kept flashing the usb keyboard and mouse lights on and off while stayed at 32% complete for about 2 minutes. Sure didn't give me the warm and fuzzies for a bit.

What I did to update it was to install all the other updates except for that one and an MSE update. Then I did the MSE update, then KB2862330. Whew! What I'm not looking forward to is updating my slug of a cheap, slow laptop. It's so slow, it always hangs on the shutdown doing ANY Windows Update. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

When I installed all 28 updates listed for my PC on Tuesday, I didn't notice any long delays, the system booted almost as fast as it would without updates at all. SSD FTW.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah Krom, I'm getting tempted. SST's are bigger and cheaper now. It's just that the effort to install an SST on my older ASUS Rampage III Gene motherboard still using that choke point of a Marvel Controller that I don't know how to get rid of without screwing up everything would take WORK. I do have a lot house maintenance chores coming out of my ears that have priority at the moment. :P

EDIT: Interesting. That single update threw this error in the event log. Haven't seen this one before.

Event 1020 ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0

Something about the update to the IIS metabase were aborted because the IIS is either not installed or is disabled on this machine. WTF is that?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

That's a good thing, tc, as you'd have no reason for IIS to be running on your machine, that I know of. (Are you hosting a web server on it, or something?) :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

No, I don't host a web server. That makes sense. I gotta quit looking through the Event Log. I did screw up on the time stamp. It must have been one of the first batches of updates I ran that threw the error. That last one was a lot later in the day, so it wasn't the culprit, other than flashing my USB keyboard lights for a while. :mrgreen: