Looking for a external battery pack

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Looking for a external battery pack

Post by thewolfe »

To use in case the power goes down so I can recharge my cellphones and iPad/ laptop.

Some one suggested the Monster Battery Pack 9000
$69.95

Any suggestions?

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: Looking for a external battery pack

Post by snoopy »

My 2c, if you want insurance in the case of a power outage, get a generator.

No matter what type of battery pack you get, if you can afford it, it really won't get you very far. I also see a shorter shelf life on batteries than you'd get out a generator.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Do you have a motor vehicle? If so, buy an inverter for it (100-120w should be plenty, anything over that pretty much has to be clamped to the battery directly anyway). Then if the power is out for an extended duration you can recharge your electronics for a couple bucks worth of fuel from idling the vehicle (and you want the car idling, since otherwise you will be without power and have a dead battery in the vehicle too).
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Not a bad idea.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Buy one of those wall mount marine chargers/inverters and hook it up to a couple of those Blue Optima batteries. It'll keep the batteries charged when the power's on, then when the power goes out, you're all set. I have a similar setup for my backup sump pump in the basement.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Lead acid batteries have a ~12-18 month shelf life on a typical float charger at best, so if its just sitting on one, expect it to be worthless for any serious workload by the 1 year mark. The battery in your car lasts a lot longer because it has regular very brief cycles then is immediately recharged to full capacity and spends the remainder of its time just sitting without being float charged or discharged.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I don't float charge it very often and I do occasionally partially discharge it by letting the pump run to cycle it. It is a deep cycle battery after all. It's 3 years old and still going strong.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

We use Gel batteries in our standby power supplies, they're about the size of a car battery, but alot heavier. They're made for that kind of setup you're talking about. On paper, the life span is about 5 years, I believe, I'd have to look up the specs on them.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

What about the Costco "flask" compared to the Just Mobile Gum Max Duo? The "flask is almost half the price.

Still looking for something I can carry around on vacation as well as powering up phone and iPad during a power outage.