Dump cable and go for online tv?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Dump cable and go for online tv?

Post by ReadyMan »

In a quest to drop our expenses, my family is trying to decide whether dumping cable tv ($100 a month with the DVR) in lieu of hulu plus, netflix, etc.
Any opinions on this?

Right now, I'm using DSL, but also thinking of changing to cable.
If I make the change I'd have to purchase a unit that communicates with our Panasonic TV (L42u12).
Here's a link if it's needed: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-TCL42U12- ... B002HUQBY0

I'm in uncharted waters here. Any recommendations on whether the move is worth it? equipment needed?

Thanks!

RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Dump cable and go for online tv?

Post by Krom »

Dumped pay TV for OTA+Netflix+Amazon Prime a couple years ago, do not miss the cable or the bill. We use a couple Roku 2/3 streaming boxes to watch it on the TV.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

So with this asus wireless router, and a Roku, we should be set?
Can you watch football, or do you have to watch it after the fact?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

We don't watch sports, but you can probably get some of them from over the air stations if you put up an antenna.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Most cable companies have a "Limited Basic" that is basicly off-airs + weather channel and some freebie channels (c-span, etwn, etc) for cheap. Get that with a higher internet package, some places that still qualifies you for a multi-service discount as well.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Your still in Hawaii right, I know choices are limited there .. You may get raped on price for sure

Don't forget to looke at things also like amazon prime (if you use kindles and are looking streaming movies)

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Yes, still living in hawaii. At least there are 2 cable companies, so there is a *little* competition.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
We're going to try cable internet, and will try streaming to our tv/tablets/pc and see how that works out.
the bandwidth increase over dsl should be great.

I think if we like no cable tv, we'll just get an antenna as suggested.

Is there a type of DVR for taping shows from the net/recording regular programs?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Most DVRs should be able to record stuff from over the air. Recording stuff streaming from the net would be mostly pointless because almost all of it is on demand already anyway.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

If you get a tivo box, be careful which box you get, most of the newer ones ditched the off-air tuner, you'll need the older version or figure out which one still has it, if any. But I'm sure there are other dvr options too.
--------------
----------
---Capm
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

We don't have cable tv. Here's what we have & our experiences: (This is true in the Philadelphia area...)

Pay services that we have:
Netflix DVD service (no streaming)
Amazon Prime

We also have:
A nice directional antenna for OTA broadcast
A homebuilt DVR - Mythtv-based for the OTA broadcast (I have two tuners - an HVR-1600, and a HVR-850)

Our experiences:
If we don't catch something on the DVR, Hulu free has pretty much everything you can get over the air, but only the most recent episodes
Sports (OTA)
The Eagles are always on over the air, even pre-season and Thursday/Monday games.
Other football: 2-3 channels run college games on Saturdays, Sunday afternoon NFL games for non-eagle are hit or miss.
We get some local baseball on the weekends, but everything else is on cable.
You can't get live sports online unless you have cable or pay for the premium packages per-league.

I'd say check out your local OTA listings for a few weeks to get a feel of what live sport you can get... don't count on getting any over the internet.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

My brother is considering ditching his DirectTV, and going strictly streaming. It would probably work for him, but I know it wouldn’t work for me.

I think the formula is pretty damn simple, you use the services that provide the content you want, in the format that works best for you.

I’m thinking about FIOS to replace my DirecTV because I hate it when the weather blocks the signal. (the one and only thing I dislike about sat TV)
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Is FIOS running IP-TV in your area? I hear they're still having a lot of problems with their boxes.
--------------
----------
---Capm
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I have no idea, they are offering phone…internet…and TV…what the TV protocol is I have no idea.

Probably the only thing stopping me from going to FIOS is the incompatibility with both of my security systems. (home and shop)

I have discussed this issue with the salesman and their technicians, and all of them just shrug.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Spider there shouldn't be any problem with FIOS it's still internet , you just need static IP's with your purchase or and open DNS account, their routers still have advanced configurations for port forwarding or you can buy your own. Sales guys are clueless

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Wrong…My security systems are incompatible because FIOS generates the 48volt Tip and Ring signal and the Dial Tone locally, therefore when a phone line is cut…in this case the fiber optic, there is no way the systems can tell.

My systems call or text me on different lines when a phone line is cut or lost…it has nothing to do with the internet.

And there are some clumsy workarounds like attaching an optical interface with the led that shows connectivity, then operating a relay that cuts the T&R line…this is not an option because I have been told that the box must remain outside, and even if it’s inside, it’s way too iffy for a security system.

What I need is a dry contact that opens (or closes) when the optical signal is lost, and that is what they say they won’t do. And that must be located inside so it cannot be bypassed.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Hmmm that would be problem with any Digital phone as well, since the EMTA also generates its own dialtone.

The only solution that would equivilate that would be an optical light sensor. You would have to install an intrusion alarm into the demark box as well, since it is outside, you'd have to enter the building directly through the back of the box. It'd be a one-off setup, for sure, no elegant way around that.

Having said that, its not un-heard of to put the demark box inside the building, either. I've seen more than once where its been done for a homeowner that requested it specifically (I think there was a higher installation fee), where it was buried up to the building and entered 2 feet down through a pre-existing hole in the foundation.

You just have to get a manager on the phone thats not a jackass.
--------------
----------
---Capm
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I was just looking for optical sensors that would work for that kind of application... haven't found any yet, but did find this interesting read:

http://www.optex-europe.com/cms/documen ... 0E.pdf.pdf
--------------
----------
---Capm
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

The other option would be to see if they have a NMS that keeps track of their ONT (if the ONT is a managed device itself), maybe they can have their NMS send you a notification if it loses contact with your ONT? That would be better than anything else I could suggest, most likely. And you could test it periodically by unplugging the power (and backup power) to the ONT.

Or you could have a remote NMS somewhere else pinging something inside the house, that would have the same effect as their NMS doing it.

Because if you lose internet, odds are, you've lost your phone as well.
--------------
----------
---Capm
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Some things to consider for sure.

Thanks
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I naturaly assumed when you said security systems I was thinking home/work video surveillance, not old style POTS alarm, my mistake. In this day and age why haven't you migrated to wireless for your alarm(s) and refrain from placing all your eggs in one basket? POTS is something all old bell telephone companies want to get away from.. That's like clinging to dialup for internet... Get on the ball man!

I know about phone lines I worked/work for AT&T/Lucent-Avaya in the field and in the office

Your probably in an area where the only option is VOIP when converted to FIOS where other states have tariffs to require verizon to offer POTS with FIOS as separate entities(usually the same states that still have touchstone as an upgrade). But by a certain year can be completely fiber and no longer bound by the state requirement in the tarrif

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I ditched cable about six years ago now, and I haven't looked back. It's also nice to have a few extra bucks at the end of the month, now that I'm not paying for overpriced packages.

As for going online with television, it's starting to look pretty attractive.