Desktop Environment?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Desktop Environment?

Post by snoopy »

I'm toying around with the thought of changing over from awesomeWM to a desktop environment.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I've tried enlightenment before, but I've never managed to really gain traction with it.... should I give it another try?

Alternatively, should I try GNOME of KDE?

I'll take suggestions!
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
sdfgeoff
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Desktop Environment?

Post by sdfgeoff »

What will you be doing with you computer?

I tend to prefer the more lightweight side of things, and so when I'm feeling productive I use i3wm, a tiling window manager. When I'm feeling less productive, or want other people to be able to use my computer, I use XFCE4
Eh?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

sdfgeoff wrote:...I use XFCE4
I'm pretty much in love with XFCE. The keyboard/settings manager gives me just enough freedom to set my own hot keys, the GUI is minimal but not non-existent, and the speed is pretty good. It has it's shortcomings, but all of them do (some gnome-based programs bug a little in XFCE). LXDE is a little too minimal for my tastes, but I used it for a year or so and kind of miss it sometimes. I had a hard time with Enlightenment too, but was really impressed with how fast and fancy it was.

It's always a tough decision, picking a windows manager. There is the combination of how you want to interface with your computer, versus speed/performance, versus software that can exist comfortable in that environment.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I'm thinking of switching to xfce. Right now I'm using gnome flashback, which I can't really recommend these days due to the bit rot.