Modem Problems

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Modem Problems

Post by Spidey »

I have this modem installed in my DELL XPS 600…

Conexant D850 56k V.90 DFVc its OEM

When I upgraded to Win 7 from XP I lost the voice function, the driver is the latest available from Windows, and DELL doesn’t have a newer one. (their last one was issued for XP, and I assume they didn’t update for Win 7 because it’s plug and play in that OS) Seems to be the same driver version as well. 7.06.00 or such.

I have been beating my brains trying to get the voice function, some people say it’s the software I’m using, but I’m pretty sure it’s not because an older version of the same software was installed on the XP box (classic phone tools) besides I also tried another software suite and it also reported no voice function as well.

Then some people say that Win 7 is borked regarding the WAVE function, but of course MS says it’s the OEM drivers.

Some other people are saying that modems (hardware type) don’t even need drivers, but use an “inf” file to work.

Etc…etc, so I’m really confused, if someone has the lowdown on this issue I would really appreciate some help.

My gut is telling me something is missing in the ini string or the inf file…I have access to the ini and inf files from my XP box but no clue how to hack them up, for Win 7. or even where to find the one in Win 7. Additional string commands can also be added in the modem properties.

I also tried to install a new modem to avoid this problem...hIro 50006 or some ★■◆●, the OS didn’t even recognize the POS, and the drivers failed to install.

Help………….
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: Modem Problems

Post by Capm »

You got to be careful with drivers going from XP to any of the newer windows. Did you go from 32bit to 64bit version when you did that? Because that caused a lot of problems with peripheral equipment, and if they haven't put out a newer driver for that modem (which is very possible) then you may not get it back without getting a new modem (good luck with that). Entire droves of multifunction printers became just printers, when moving from XP to 64bit Win 7, because they couldn't function on the 64bit platform, and the manufacturers didn't go back and re-write their drivers, so you had to use a generic pcl driver just to get the printer function to work.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I stayed with 32 bit to avoid that exact problem.

The drivers work fine in FAX and Data mode, it's only Voice that doesn't work. (which is a known issue, but no real solution...at least not on the internet)
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

So I’m pretty sure this is a “soft modem” and there is no Modems.inf file to be found, so it’s proper drivers or nothing.

I’m going to buy a proper hardware modem and try it, the thing is the instructions say to uninstall any other modems you have, but I don’t want to…will disabling the other one do?

I have been reading about having 2 or more modems installed, and the only problem seems to be, having 2 of the same type causing driver conflicts. (drivers never designed for 2 devices)

I personally don’t see a problem with having 2 modems installed…hell in Win 7 you can have 2 sound cards installed. (can only use one at a time tho)

Anybody?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You have to open the computer to put the new one in, so might as well take the old one out while you are at it. But whatever, disabling it should still get around having to take it out.

What is this modem connected by? Last modem I ever had was ISA, but that slot is long gone. If it is PCI, keep in mind that not all PCI slots are equal so if the new modem doesn't work put it in the same PCI slot the old modem was using.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I want to leave the old modem in because I’m kinda getting sick and tired of having to open this box, because it is a pain in the ass. (location)

The new modem I plan to buy is USB the one in the machine is PCI, and I already had the HiRO fail in the same slot, so I want to avoid that happening again, this is an older machine, so the slots are version 1.

Of course, the problem there was probably the HiRO is a POS.

Heh yea, I have a very expensive ISA modem in my collection of used cards….even my oldest machines at this point don’t have any ISA slots.

Edit:

Only the PCIe slots in that machine are version 1, the “PCI” slots are fully mature.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

So I disabled the internal modem, and installed my new USB hardware Modem.

The voice app recognized the modem and installed its voice module, everything seemed ok…

But there are still some issues.

1. There is no call screening (playing of messages through the speakers)
2. The sound is all static, very loud static, you can barely make out the voice. (outgoing and caller recorded)
If I play the pre-recorded messages out of the app, it works great, it’s just thru the modem that sucks bad. (caller recorded messages as well)

So…is it worth it to go ahead and uninstall the internal modem, or is there no chance that is the problem?

What are the odds that it is the USB port?

What are the odds that it’s the modem?

Should I throw it on the ground and stomp on it?