Steam can't poke through firewall

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Steam can't poke through firewall

Post by Tunnelcat »

Is anyone using Steam getting this message in their event log, "Steam failed to poke open firewall"? This one started showing up since their last Steam update, or perhaps even the most recent Windows Update, and I've never seen that particular error occur before. It usually causes me to have to restart Steam to get it to connect. Doesn't happen again on subsequent launching of Steam until a reboot, then it shows up again. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Steam can't poke through firewall

Post by Top Gun »

Haven't seen it yet myself, but if it just started happening after their last update, something might have been borked. Could be a fix forthcoming.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Probably valve just goofed up something related to the windows firewall API.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

...."poke open".....?? :huh:

kayyy,,,,,
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Duper wrote:...."poke open".....?? :huh:

kayyy,,,,,
Don't believe me heh? :lol:

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oh this is fascinating. Someone on another forum said that if one used "run as administrator" to launch Steam, the error doesn't occur. Sure enough, that's seems to be the case. Launch it normally, it throws the error every time, even though Steam seems to connect. Now my question is, is that OK to use that option every time I launch Steam? Is there a security issue?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Appears to be an issue with one of the recent steam updates, it shouldn't cause any immediate problems other than being unable to join/host some steamworks multiplayer games. They will probably fix it in an update sooner or later. Probably something silly like they accidentally have steam using the steam.exe credentials (user level) to try to open the firewall instead of the actual steam service credentials (local system account). I see the same error on my system, only a couple times since I usually just leave steam running and it only throws that error when it first loads.

Running steam as an administrator should be harmless, but I'd just wait it out and see if they fix it at some point.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, it didn't get addressed in yesterday's update. Plus, I found a game that I'd been playing a while ago suddenly wouldn't launch. It would drop out right back into the Steam overlay after hitting "play". Had to verify the integrity of the game files to fix a missing 13.8 mg file that went missing for some reason. :roll: