Backup in the cloud?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Backup in the cloud?

Post by thewolfe »

I automatically backup up all my data on a slave drive on my computer every couple of hours and also backup to an external "G"drive every couple of months.

I've been thinking about Carbonite for an offsite backup.

But....I'm always concerned about putting my "stuff" out there and then having the site hacked.

And was also thinking about encrypting the data before it got uploaded to the "cloud".

If that would make sense, what encryption software could I use.

And regarding encryption, I'm always concerned about encrypting and not being able to un-encrypt it.

What say you guys?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Backup in the cloud?

Post by Krom »

Standard business practice with cloud providers is to encrypt all data stored on their servers to the extent that they cannot decrypt it themselves, only you can decrypt it because only you have the necessary private key. Typically the data is encrypted by the backup application on your PC before it is even sent to them, so they never even see the unencrypted set which only exists on your computer. Although currently there are no guarantees the NSA couldn't decrypt it if they wanted.

If you lose your key or password or whatever, then yeah you wouldn't be able to decrypt your stuff anymore and it would be lost, so don't.