Win 8 Update coming. Start Button Back.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Win 8 Update coming. Start Button Back.

Post by Duper »

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/04/ ... tart-menu/

Actually, the article talks about 2 different updates. There is one coming this weekend but won't have the start button implemented then. That is some time in the future.

Read the whole thing for the whole story. It's short.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Win 8 Update coming. Start Button Back.

Post by Top Gun »

That might finally be enough for me to consider 8 in the future...but probably not, out of spite.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Start button has been there since last year - the start menu is the thing that was going to be changed. I am not really sure when, I thought it was going to wait for the next major release. But it sounds like that might not be the case anymore.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Another feature of Windows 8.1 that may grow to be more useful in the future is a native NVMe driver.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Is that aimed at solid-state storage chips built onto the mainboard or something? Phones, tablets and the like? I've seen PCI-E SSD cards for ATX machines before (usually hilariously expensive) but didn't get the impression they were becoming any more common.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

They probably will become more common because SATA-Express is really just PCIe over a pair of SATA cables, so literally all the better SSDs are going to be PCIe in the near future.