Share 56k connection over network.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Share 56k connection over network.

Post by Top Wop »

Im having problems doing this.

I've set static ip's and I set up the client computer's gateways with the ip of my computer which is physically connecting to the internet. Well, they see it, but I still cant use the internet from those client computers when I connect even though I can see it as "gateways" under the network connections in control panel. I also tried the wizard on both computers but that does not work ether. Both are XP Pro machines.

Did I miss anything? Thanks for help.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

You need to get a program that will allow your gateway machine to act as a router. Just setting static IP's and telling the client computers to use another computer as a gateway wont make the gateway machine foreward packets. The machine will recieve packets adressed to another machine and simply drop them.

You can enable Internet Connection Sharing on the gateway machine to do this and then switch the client computers to DHCP. Barring software firewalls getting in your way, it should work decently for web browsing and stuff.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Yep, ICS is your friend.

Remember - you need software firewalls though!
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Im using Zone Alarm Pro for a firewall on the sharing computer.

Anyway I tried setting the client computer to DHCP, ran the wizzards on both computers, and the client computer can SEE the shared connection yet when I click on internet explorer it seems like its thinking, I look at the byte count on the client computer and seeing that its transferring something, yet it times out and I get a "This page cannot be displayd" message.

If I can't get this fixed, then thats ok since this is a temp fix. Im getting DSL in a month.

[edit]Fixed and working properly. I had overlooked the silly firewall issue.