Mozilla 1.6 is out!

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Mozilla 1.6 is out!

Post by MD-2389 »

www.mozilla.org

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3"> Release Notes
* One of the most requested Mozilla Mail features, an option to separate the Recipient and Sender columns in the thread pane, has been implemented.
* Another frequently requested MailNews feature, a preference for placing the user's signature above the quoted text, has been added.
* "Remove from server after x days" has been implemented for POP3 mail accounts.
* vCard support has been added to Mozilla Mail.
* Mozilla 1.6 includes a new cross-platform NTLM authentication mechanism. This feature brings NTLM authentication to the non-Windows Mozilla users for the first time and also delivers more robust and featureful NTLM support to users of older Windows versions.
* Ask Jeeves searching has been added to Mozilla 1.6.
* "Translate Page" functionality has returned to this release of Mozilla.
* The View Source window now has reload functionality.
* Several security-related bugs were fixed in 1.6
* Chatzilla 0.9.48 has been merged, which adds RPL_ISUPPORT support, halfop mode support, and properly masks key and password dialogs.
* Many crash bugs have been fixed.
* One step closer to the kitchen sink, about :about has been implemented. Typing about :about in the address field will give the user a nice list of available about :s.
* The opacity implementation was completely revamped to properly change the opacity of all descendants as a group.
* CSS inheritance has been updated to work per CSS2.1 (computed values are inherited).</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Sweet, thx MD, I've been meaning to switch over to Mozilla Mail over Outlook Express because I was getting tired of Spam not being correctly filtered out, this just gives me an excuse to finally do it Image
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Nice to see Mozilla forge ahead, while Internet Explorer lies around, doing nothing except bleeding profusely from every hole.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Hey hey hey, that's not true Mobius.

I'm playing around with the beta service pack for XP and it adds a lot of new features to IE. Like, uh, a pop up blocker. And, um... the ability to manage activex addons.

Okay that's really all it adds, but it's a new version!

And OLE has the amazing new feature of being able to block offsite linked images in HTML e-mail! Imagine! We can all thank the wonderful people at MSFT for forging ahead into a new era of internet computing.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

They're still lagging behind in the spam filtering department which might bite them in the ass in the long run.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Caught me by near-surprise, but downloaded and installed the latest and greatest version. There aren't too many new features that I would have cause to use, though. Mozilla is just about perfect as a web browser for me, and I honestly wouldn't do a thing to change it. Image

Oh, and of course a new about:mozilla

<i>And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror.

from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15 </i>
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Those curious about Mammon:

http://www.bartleby.com/61/92/M0069200.html

I wonder if this was intended to represent Microsoft. Also, I wonder if the sky is blue. Image

BTW, Mammon appears in the New Testament.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

That's a big "No, duh" sir.

In the ongoing Book of Mozilla, Mammon has always represented Internet Explorer. In this passage, the beast that fell is most likely AOL severing Netscape as a web browser and accordingly the Mozilla project, which would make the "unbelievers" rejoice. Fire and thunder pretty obviously refer to Mozilla Firebird and Mozilla Thunderbird, which represent the next generation of Mozilla, hence a reborn Mozilla. Image

(BTW, the Mammon Machine also appears in Chrono Trigger in the "false God" context Image)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Firebird kicks IE ass any day and its all I need at the moment. Image
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Top Wop:
Firebird kicks IE ass any day and its all I need at the moment. Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mozilla is going the way of Firebird as far as the browser component goes. From what I gather, the mail client will remain pretty much the way it is. (though what I find funny is that Firebird and Thunderbird combined are a larger download that Mozilla itself, which has everything. Image)
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Psst... notice my comment on the color of the sky. Image

Just felt like pointing out what the "actual" Mammon is/was/wasn't.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Tetrad - you're funnay. I like the way you "defend" IE. Remind me NEVER to hire you to defend ME in a court of law! Image

As to the Thunderbird/Firebird downloads. IIRC, each has a standalone gecko engine for rendering HTML - so a monolithic download of the two apps would be much smaller.

It's funny isn't it? Remember back when Netscape 3 (GOLD!) was the top browser, and IE was a useless piece of crap? Well, we won't discuss WHY or HOW IE became the #1 browser, because we'd be sucked into some vortex of history and I don;t want that...

BUT, MS *did* work hard on IE - and for a time there - it WAS the best browser. IE5 was a great leap forward for them - and it was competing against Netscape 6 (which as we all know, blew donkeys!)

Now MS are on the top of the heap, and they're so secure in their dominance, that they can't even be bothered adding the features which make Opera, Firebird/Mozilla et al the superior products.

Man, if I was Bill Gates, I'd be like: "Sweet Baby Jebus - have you seen what those OS guys are doing with Firebird??? Holy Sh!t - why don't we have that stuff in IE? I want it ALL in there - and like NOW - God damn it - NOW!"

Secretly, I reckon Bill probably uses Firebird on a Powerbook G5 running OS-X. Image
FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FireFox »

WoW a broswer can do all this!

Me shoots myself in the legg for sticking with IE for as long as I did. This is really cool. I've been using it now for what, a day, and I can't imagine going back to IE.

Thanks.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
As to the Thunderbird/Firebird downloads. IIRC, each has a standalone gecko engine for rendering HTML - so a monolithic download of the two apps would be much smaller.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd think that would be true wouldn't ya? Logically, I'd agree with you, but if you look at the actual filesizes...

Mozilla 1.6 - ~12MB
Firebird 0.7 - ~6MB
Thunderbird 0.4 - ~7.5MB

Thats 13.5MB for both Firebird and Thunderbird combined. Even if we take into account that they rounded up to the nearest tenth of a MB, its still larger to get both seperately.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3"><b> It's funny isn't it? Remember back when Netscape 3 (GOLD!) was the top browser, and IE was a useless piece of crap? Well, we won't discuss WHY or HOW IE became the #1 browser, because we'd be sucked into some vortex of history and I don;t want that...

Now MS are on the top of the heap, and they're so secure in their dominance, that they can't even be bothered adding the features which make Opera, Firebird/Mozilla et al the superior products.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They aren't as high up on the heap as they'd like to be. Going by the stats for my Freeyellow account, IE users are on the decline. For a while they were up in the mid 80% range, but last month the total hits for people using IE is down to 74%. The rest using Mozilla, Netscape 4.x, 3.x Gold (yes, people actually still use it!). Here's the real shocker though. I actually got hits from.....drumroll please

LYNX! Thats right. A freakin' text-only browser! Of all the other browsers that hit my account, Mozilla was on top making it #2 top hitter.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by FireFox:
<b> WoW a broswer can do all this!

Me shoots myself in the legg for sticking with IE for as long as I did. This is really cool. I've been using it now for what, a day, and I can't imagine going back to IE.

Thanks.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://themes.mozdev.org/

Theres a ****load of themes for both Mozilla and Firebird there. I highly recommend the "Skypilot Classic" theme, but for the IE-only zealouts out there, theres an Internet Explorer theme for you there too. Image
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Whoa, Thunderbird's up to .4 now? I'm still on .2 Image

/me updates