Broadband Availability?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Broadband Availability?

Post by Jesus Freak »

Most of you know that I'm stuck with 26.4kbps max 56k connect, and I'm desperately searching for affordable high-speed Internet. When I say affordable, I mean under $50/month for just the Internet service. I'm looking for something that's fast enough to game with under 60 ping to servers near to me. I currently ping as low as 130 to Esa with my connect... so imagine what I could do with broadband! Image

I'm not good at on-line stuff, so if anyone is willing to help me find some affordable(or at least SOME) high speed Internet, I would be very very grateful Image Here is my contact info if needed:

29045 Livingston Drive
Mechanicsville Md, 20659
phone: 301-884-4175

if u need to put a name in for something, just put Charles Lucas. So, anyone with a kind heart willing to help? All I know of that's available now is GMP cable Internet, and that costs $80 a month for only 512k/256k Image
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

Try checking at www.dslreports.com
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

I did a comcast search and their are about 6 differnt comcast providers for your zip.
go to comcast.com and do an availabilty search with your zip and pick your county if its available, comcast in my area is only around 47.95 and I get 3000/450
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

That's the problem, I don't know which Comcast services me. MY County Comcast certainly doesn't, because we've called them and get no reply. I just tried ordering through another county Comcast that a Comcast customer service agent suggested I try. Comcast for me would be $60/month because I'm not a cable TV customer, and it would be 3mb/256k(wowowowow fast).

I know for a fact that VERY FEW people in my entire county have cable Internet. I live in a low density, low income city. However, my county has the guinness book of world records for most liquor stores per square mile! There are 3.5 liquor stores per square mile average in my county Image Sad, huh?
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Hey JF, you don't live very far from me. East Coast needs a good LAN. Image I'm down in Winchester, VA, so I get my cable net through Adelphia. (3Mbit/256Kbit)
Akasha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Akasha »

Hey, JF, I had a comcast connection last year. I lived in a neighborhood that has young couples and retired couples. So, obviously, no one uses broadband, and, of course, it took me a long time to convince my dad to get it and to know what it was. Image But it was great...it never lagged and it was always at 1789/400, according to dslreports.com. Be careful about having a TV in the same room and using a splitter.

My problem was with on screen lag, and 2/3 of my problem was system lag in general. The cable was definitely NOT a bottleneck. Image But my computer was. Image
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

JMeat, we should go to Chicago LAN... maybe even carpool Image Of course if I go we will have to bring along Shadowfox Image

I'm not afraid of getting unstable cable Internet. If I could get Comcast cable Internet, I'd be happy. However, if I could get DSL 1.5mb/128k for only $35/month, I'd be even happier Image