I need help with shared Internet connection

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I need help with shared Internet connection

Post by FireFox »

Iâ??ve succeeded in setting up the following so far.

PC with 98SE with 56k modem and PC with XP Pro to share an internet connection using AnalogXâ??s proxy tool but I canâ??t for the life of me get the E-mail account setup to work correctly.

I can browse the net and send mail but I canâ??t download it. What am I missing? Iâ??m using Mozilla as my browser and E-mail program (BTW I did try it with Outlook too but it did the same eerrr nothing). The proxies are set to the LAN IP 192.168.0.4 (PC with modemâ??s IP) with the corresponding ports the readme file said to use for HTTP/HTTPS, FTP, Sock, POP3 & SMTP.

The mail servers also refer to the IP instead of the pop.domain.com and smtp.domain.com so it should work shouldnâ??t it. I can send mail but WHY canâ??t I download the freakin mail.

Is there something Iâ??m not setting up right? My ISP config doesnâ??t use the E-mail alias to login but just my user name (eg 545874 and not 545841@domain.com or FF@domain.com) and password. Iâ??ve tried every possible setup in the E-mail alias setup but nada, doesnâ??t want to work. Should I use another program or is this just some silly thing Iâ??m missing?

Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Install WinRoute Pro. Best internet sharing tool for windows hands down. Easy to configure, works pretty much out-of-the-box but allows for technical tweaks if you need them.
Honest Bob
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Honest Bob »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by FireFox:
<b> Iâ??ve succeeded in setting up the following so far.

PC with 98SE with 56k modem and PC with XP Pro to share an internet connection using AnalogXâ??s proxy tool but I canâ??t for the life of me get the E-mail account setup to work correctly.

I can browse the net and send mail but I canâ??t download it. What am I missing? Iâ??m using Mozilla as my browser and E-mail program (BTW I did try it with Outlook too but it did the same eerrr nothing). The proxies are set to the LAN IP 192.168.0.4 (PC with modemâ??s IP) with the corresponding ports the readme file said to use for HTTP/HTTPS, FTP, Sock, POP3 & SMTP.

The mail servers also refer to the IP instead of the pop.domain.com and smtp.domain.com so it should work shouldnâ??t it. I can send mail but WHY canâ??t I download the freakin mail.

Is there something Iâ??m not setting up right? My ISP config doesnâ??t use the E-mail alias to login but just my user name (eg 545874 and not 545841@domain.com or FF@domain.com) and password. Iâ??ve tried every possible setup in the E-mail alias setup but nada, doesnâ??t want to work. Should I use another program or is this just some silly thing Iâ??m missing?

Image</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used AnalogX Proxy a while back. It sounds as if you didnt setup the Proxy configuration. You have to put in the pop and the smtp servers in the proxy configuration. Maybe I missread your post but you didnt mention anything about putting that stuff in the proxy.
FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FireFox »

I did put in the POP and SMTP settings in the config under E-mail alias. I've now also tried WinRoute Pro but it has the same problem.

I've finally ask a computer tech guy I know and he told me that I will not be able to d/l E-mail on the XP box from 98SE. The problem is somewhere with 98SE. So I've desided to just plainly swap the modem now.

And try it the other way round because the 98 box only needs to connect to the net and don't need to d/l mail. So in the end the problem is easy to solve if only I can get this damn modems XP drivers somewhere (free).

Modem: Smart Link 56k Modem Voice Device

So I'm off searching for that right now. But if someone know were I might find them please let me know.

Thanks

Found it (I think)
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

If you haven't found them you can try here for drivers.
http://list.driverguide.com/list/company1694/

Login drivers
Password all