Case questions and some deal hunting.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Case questions and some deal hunting.

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Alright so I have a Sony VAIO desktop. I want a new case with some mods for it, so I'm thinking about getting the following:

http://store.yahoo.com/xoxide/xviper.html <- XViper Case and a 350 watt Generic Power supply

http://store.yahoo.com/xoxide/mublledfangr.html <- Just because you gotta have one Image

http://store.yahoo.com/xoxide/5ftblueelwire.html <- For putting around the bottom of the case

Questions!
1. Is there some place I can find any of these for cheaper? I know Xoxide is pretty expensive.
2. Will a 350 watt power supply be enough to power 3 or 4 LED fans, 2 or 3 other fans, el wire, 1 or 2 cold cathodes, and everything else that's in a computer?
3. My Vaio has some special ports on the front, will there be a problem if I move them to the new case?
4. My Mobo also has a port config that I've never really seen before... will I need to worry about that or does the whole back panel come with the mobo?
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Yes, no, yes, yes.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Details on 1 & 3 plz? Image

#4 I got figured out.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Although that Xoxide case looks sort of slick on the outside, it looks kinda cheapy on the inside.I also think the white or silver drive bay covers kinda uglify it. Why dont you look at an Antec Sonata. It's a great looking case and has a multitude of cool features. Google "antec sonata review" and read some reviews on the case. You'll be impressed.

I'm sure you'll have to do some mods if you plan to use the "special ports" from the vaio on the front of the new case. Hope you have a dremel Image. What kind of special ports are you referring to anyway? I mean, you CAN find cases with firewire/usb/speaker/mic ports on the front if that's what you mean...
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

You can also check out the Chieftec cases. They build the Dragon series that Antec sells, but at lower prices(although I ahvent case shopped since summer of last year).

My advise would be to stay away from the generic power supplies that come bundled with most cases though. Antec supplies are of good quality.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I just bought a badass PSU. It's a Fortron 400 Aurora. It's got one huge 120 mil clear fan on it. It's so quiet and looks great too. The material they make the case out of is a nicer grade and the entire rear of the PSU is honeycomb grating. It allows you to see right into the PSU from the rear and the entire inside of the PSU is lit by the blue LEDs in the fan. The specs on it are awesome and (according to Stress) the thing puts out more power than it is rated at. It's got a speed control knob on the back as well, which is nice. I'd buy another one for sure.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mr. Perfect:
You can also check out the Chieftec cases. They build the Dragon series that Antec sells, but at lower prices(although I havent case shopped since summer of last year). </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just picked up <a href=http://www.directron.com/ax01bld.html>this</a> case. Its a blue aluminum version of the Dragon-series cases, with a side window. Excellent case, looks incredible. They discontinued it a few days after I bought it Image Its a pity they did, Directron was one of the few places that had the blue cases. The <a href=http://www.coolerguys.com/productslist. ... 7>Casemaxx 610s</a> are basically the same, but with different colors.

But I have to be kinda wary of the X-Viper, where in the same sentence it mentions the "high grade steel design" and the fact that it weighs "just under 20lbs." Anyone who has owned a steel case knows that quality contruction is heavy Image (see: aforementioned Dragon series. I had the steel version for over a year and a half, it was indestructible but weighed like 50 lbs)
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

This is my new case. Man, I love this thing. All the features of the Sonata plus two 120 mil LED lit fans, mobo tray, plus aluminum construction and the sweetest window I've ever seen. This case is cool and quiet and a dream to work with.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

As far as special ports go, it's 4 USB ports, 1 Firewire port, an RCA (yellow, white, red) port, cable connection, S-Video port and memory card reader. Like punisher said, I have a drill ready.

Thanks for all the recommendations, although there's a few things I forgot to mention :-D:
-I have a $100-120 price range for case, power supply, everything.
-I bring this to and from LANs a lot so I need to be able to lift it without a forklift, carry it under 1 arm, etc.

So is the steel inside X-Viper bad enough to just fall apart or get heavily warped? b/c I really don't need Carbon Fiber or Titanium in a case Image