CISCO Router Sims?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

CISCO Router Sims?

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Anyone know of a program that would simulate a network with CISCO routers and PC's? I've tried Boson Netsim but it's buggy.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

That's really one of your own options. To tell you the truth, it isn't very good either. What do you need the sim for? Are you studying for an exam?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'm in a CCNA course at school and the labs only have sunday 8 hr period for extra use. So having to go in and do everything there on sundays only sucks.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

I used all the Boson software while I was studying for my CCNA when I was co-oping at Cisco. The Boson software was nice, but it wasn't really necessary because I had several labs full of Cisco gear at my disposal.

Even though the Boson software isn't very accurate in it's simluations, the questions are good. The only way you are really going to learn whats going on though is be using the lab you have available.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Arch, the lab ins't open to us cept for sundays from like 10-4pm. I'm not always able to go in those days or I'm busy doing other work. Boson Netsim is great but there are a few bugs that stop me from doing my labs in them.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

I believe I saw a book in Borders the other day that said something about Router Simulations. It was in the certifications section, and I'm pretty sure it was a CCNA book. I did a quick search on Amazon and came up with this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

Obviously that is pretty expensive and probably more than you are looking for. I don't think you are going to find something for free that is going to adequately simulate the operation of the devices.

Just out of curiosity, what do you have to do in your labs? What do the assignments entail?

There isn't a whole lot of configuration that goes on for CCNA exams, most of which can be done in under 10 minutes if you know the commands that are required. The most complicated thing to setup if Frame Relay.

What test are you studying for? I passed the 640 exam with a 936 of 1000. I know they changed the exam in september to be more difficult.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'm taking a 2 year Computer System Technician course at the local college but it's 1/2 CCNA.

What we do in the labs is configure the routers (4 routers, 2 switches, 4 PC's) and then play around with the things we learned in class.

We are learning OSPF now instead of using RIPv1 last semester. Also, having a sim that works will re-inforce what we already know so when it comes to the hands on practical at the end of the semester, I won't have any trouble.
Honest Bob
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Honest Bob »

Hmmm... I was thinking of taking a similar class myself if my local community college offers it.