Win XP Pro Upgrade

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Win XP Pro Upgrade

Post by woodchip »

I can get the XP pro upgrade for 100.00. Is there any inherent difference between the upgrade package and the full monty?
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

NOPE. The upgrade is the full install.

Mine is an academic copy of XP Pro (Upgrade) and it supposedly can only be used to upgrade Win98/2K to Windows XP. But it installs from scratch without issue.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Thanks Chris
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Oh - I forgot to add one strange thing!

On the last format C: I did, when I installed XP Pro for the sceond time (The first failed due to a faulty stick of RAM) it asked me to insert my Windows 2000 disk before it would install it! This was very weird, because it was the 4th time I've installed from scratch - and it never asked me to do that before.

It did *NOT* ask for my Win2K serial number - just the CD-ROM - and after about 10 seconds it popped the ROM out of the drive and the install continued.

Go Figure!
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Technically, the upgrade version is supposed to ask you to insert the disk of a previous version of Windows. Thats the difference between it and the standalone, they may install exactly the same but you need the older copy. <a href=http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/ ... sp>This</a> outlines the details.

Mobi: Chalk it up to Microsoft's famous consistency? Image
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Oh, that's good to know. For a while I was confused and thought the Win XP Pro Upgrade had to be installed on top of an existing Windows installation.