Seagate hard drives

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Seagate hard drives

Post by woodchip »

Best Buy has 120 G HD for sale at 69.00 after rebate. Never owned a Seagate so I don't know how good they are. I trust someone here will let me know.
Thanks
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

all i know is there very very touchy drives if u have 2 drives on the same channle they both half to be seagate. well my 60gb seagate is like that i dont know about the newer ones
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

my seagate is quiet, nice performer. barely hear it work. and its got a temperture sensor.

My 40 gig barracuda has no issues with my 20 gig maxtor.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I was going to slave it to my 40g Maxtor or should it be the other way around?
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Best to have it on its own IDE channel if at all possible.

Better yet, do you have a SATA capable motherboard? Get a SATA drive - transfer rates generally kill the same version of the drive in PATA format.

If using as a slave on an IDE channel - remember the master must go on the end of the cable, and the slave on the middle socket.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

SATA is a ****in rip off

1 drive per chan and u pay out the ass for them
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Mobi, the transfer rates on SATA do not kill the transfer rates of PATA drives. There limit on current hard drives is not the interface but the actual mechanics of the drive. WD's raptor drive is nothing more than a PATA drive with a SATA bridge chip soldered onto the logic board. The performance gains are minimal at best.

As far as the reliability of Seagate drives go, they are pretty high up in the heap. IMO, they are above Maxtor and WD.
Honest Bob
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Honest Bob »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Arch:
<b> WD's raptor drive is nothing more than a PATA drive with a SATA bridge chip soldered onto the logic board. The performance gains are minimal at best.
</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plus the 10k RPM. BTW have seen the new 72GB Raptors benchmarks? I hardly call them minimal...
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Warlock:
<b> SATA is a ****in rip off

1 drive per chan and u pay out the ass for them</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the point.

A single SATA channel takes up less space than an PATA channel.

you can put more SATA channels on a motherboard than PATA channels.

And it isn't exactly like its a single controler per drive either.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Do the numbers and read the benchamrks: SATA transfer rates on modern SATA drive = 20-30% higher than the EXACT SAME PATA drive except with SATA interface. Shove it up your know-nothing a$$.

SATA drive price premium is around $15-20 in NZ - which is NOTHING. Make it $10-13 for you guys. If you are so dirt-poor that you can't afford a $13 premium for a SATA drive then you got no business upgrading anyway. So F&^K you.

ALSO - the performance gap between NATIVE SATA and *converted* SATA is huge. NATIVE SATA drives do indeed simply destroy IDE drives by a considerable margin - and there is NO PREMIUM AT ALL FOR NATIVE SATA. Would you like me to post the latest price list from Ingram Micro to prove it?

Only one drive per cable? So Fusking what? The friking cables are about $2.90NZD each - plus you could put 40 of 'em in your box and STILL be able to work inside it! They can also reach out to well beyond the reach of IDE cables and are much simpler to route inside the box.

Sweet Baby Jebus: why can't you just admit it: SATA is the future - and if you buy a new IDE drive now - in 3 years when you buy a new motherboard, you'll be faced with buying some POS mobo with IDE support, or a new SATA drive cos the board you want won't have an IDE channel for HDDs...

It simply does not make sense to buy an IDE drive today unless it is for a box which is NEVER going to be upgraded, and you don't give a rat's ass what sort of speed the drive has. Might be great for an MP3/backup server that's gonna sit in a cupboard for the next 8 years - but otherwise: steer clear of IDE HDDs.

Oh - there *IS* another reason to buy IDE HDDs: removeable hard drive bays. As yet, I have been unable to source a removeable drive bay with SATA support for less than twice the price of an IDE removable bay.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I have a IDE drive on a SATA channel... Mobius is full of ****.

-Krom
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

My new computer uses a SATA drive. I bought it in october. I believe its a Maxtor. Its a 120 Gig drive and I got it for around $120, which at that time was only about $10 more than the UDMA133 drive price. Its transfer rates are simply amazing, and it was absolutely the simplest and most painless hard drive I ever installed. Personally I think its an extremely smart idea to have it be only one drive per channel. The connectors are so small that you could get 3 or 4 of them in the same space as one UDMA Mobo connector. It makes it a lot more dummy proof. Also the cables are much less bulky, allow better airflow, and better aesthetics (If you have a see through side window).

About the only *slight* inconvenience Ive encountered with SATA is thatyou have to give windows the drivers for it at the time of install via floppy drive. Call a wahmbulance if you like Image

Serial ATA gets a very rousing "Thumbs Up" from me.
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Actually Mobi, you are the one who is wrong, see here:

http://storagereview.com/articles/20030 ... 0M0_1.html

Thats a Maxtor drive in both PATA and SATA versions, both of which scored with in a few 1% of each other. Hardly a 20% performance gain. In a few tests the PATA drive actually out performed the SATA drive.

You are wrong again here:

http://storagereview.com/articles/20030 ... 0JD_1.html

Again, performance gains are minimal at best. PATA beats the SATA in numerous tests.

Furthermore, you are wrong again here:

http://storagereview.com/articles/20030 ... 23A_1.html

Another drive to drive comparison of the same drive running on both PATA and SATA interfaces. I do believe that blows your "know-nothing a$$" out of the water as far as your claims of 20% to 30% higher performance. There's three different reviews, of three different drives, from three different manufacturers and they all show the same results. SATA offers neglible performance over drives using PATA all other factors being equal.

The only reason the WD Raptor drive is out performing other IDE drives on the market is because its running at 10,000 RPM spindle speed, not because its riding the SATA bus.

I'm not saying SATA isn't the future, I'm saying your performance claims are utter crap and you have no idea what you're talking about.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by fliptw:
<b> Thats the point.

A single SATA channel takes up less space than an PATA channel.

you can put more SATA channels on a motherboard than PATA channels.

And it isn't exactly like its a single controler per drive either.

</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well lets see

my MB had 4 ide chans and 2 sata chans ok i can have 8Ide drives and onley 2 sata then i can just go out and pay 30-50 for a hdd card that has 2 more chans on it
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
<b>

If using as a slave on an IDE channel - remember the master must go on the end of the cable, and the slave on the middle socket.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You stopped your medication, right?

You better go work on the "Medication Help" page now..

Actually, I think you have IDE on the brain and a Floppy mentality. Think about that.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Vader:
About the only *slight* inconvenience Ive encountered with SATA is thatyou have to give windows the drivers for it at the time of install via floppy drive. Call a wahmbulance if you like Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I installed windows 2003 server on my SATA hdd and it didn't ask for a driver or anything. My mobo (intel) must just treat it like a normal IDE HDD or something.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
Sweet Baby Jebus: why can't you just admit it: SATA is the future - and if you buy a new IDE drive now - in 3 years when you buy a new motherboard, you'll be faced with buying some POS mobo with IDE support, or a new SATA drive cos the board you want won't have an IDE channel for HDDs...</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

they sed the same thang about EISA and VLB but they didnt last lomng now did they
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

The Dell I have came with a Seagate. Of the half-dozen hard drives in the home (Western Digitals, Maxtors, IBMs, Hitachis), the Seagate is by far the quietest and has consistently remained that way. You literally don't hear the thing working, whereas the Maxtor I installed to complement it grinds away. Image

It's a pretty sweet drive. I think my next HD will be a Seagate. They've had some really good sales on Seagate drives lately. Traditionally, Seagate drives costs a bit more than their Western Digital and Maxtor cousins, but I think it's worth it. It feels like a higher quality product.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

My Dell came with a Seagate too, but I cant comment on performance since its a 5400 rpm drive. That said, it has been on 24/7 for 5 months without a hitch, and it is indeed quiet.

The big thing keeping me from going to SATA is the fact that only one of my computers has a SATA controller, and if something happens to it I'd have to get an adapter so I could read it on my other machines.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Actually Sol, Seagates are actually cheaper in price than WD drives. Atleast the retail drives are. Maxtor has really quietened down their drives too. Both my parents own 40GB Maxtors and I have a 160GB drive by them also, and I don't even hear mine. First time I fired it up I thought it was broken. Image
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So the gist here is a Seagate 120G 7200rpm HD for 69.00 (after rebate) is a good thing?
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Hmm, I ran 2 seagates in raid and the array failed shortly there after.

Using WD 80GB SE drives now.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by JMEaT:
Hmm, I ran 2 seagates in raid and the array failed shortly there after.[</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rember that day that one array was giveing me hell, well all the drives in it where seagate.

but i have a 60gb Seagate in my server as a back up untill i can get my 120gb tape drive fix and every now and then it comes up and says it failed
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Sea Gates are pretty good and quiet, my fathers HP has a 80GB seagate and its obsurdly quiet. once he thought it had died but when he relized the computer was still working he found it its that quiet.

my two WD's are almost as quiet but they do spill out sound here and there during heavy activity
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

My two WD1200JB drives are very quiet, can only hear them if I stick my head next to the case, my 120MM fan on the radiator and the chipset/video fan pretty much drown out the hard drives. I cannot hear them accessing unless I have my head RIGHT next to them. You can just barely hear the 7200 RPM spindles if you know the sound to listen for (or disconnect that 120MM fan).

-Krom
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by woodchip:
So the gist here is a Seagate 120G 7200rpm HD for 69.00 (after rebate) is a good thing?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One would think so. Image