XP upgrade

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

XP upgrade

Post by woodchip »

I'm going to install the upgrade version of xp pro onto a slave drive (see my other posts). Mobius said he installed hi upgrade version without xp asking for previuos versions of windows. All well and good. When I go to install xp it says it is not a dos based proggy and needs a window environment. So:

Chris, how did you install xp without a win os on the drive?

Secondly if xp is not dos based how would the full monty version install? I gotta feeling I'm not thinking of something.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Go into your BIOS, in the boot options, enable "Boot from CD-ROM" and make sure it's first on the list.

Stick XP CD in the drive - reboot PC. VOILA.

Once XP is installed - it will tell you to remove the XP CD and reboot the PC. On that reboot, disable "Boot from CD-ROM" in the BIOS.

When it comes to install XP, you'll be shown a list of drive letters and drive sizes on which to install. Select the correct drive!
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Thanks Mobman. One thing I had to do was eliminate the partitions I set up using the software that came with the new HD. Got a error "windows root\system 32\hal.dll" because of that. Had to use xp's tool to set up the partitions and then it worked. I did have to use my 98 disk for proof of a previous version though.
I now have a problem getting into my old drive under win 98. Something to do with NAV...navap.vxd to be precise. Haven't a clue as to what happened unless xp modified the bios anti virii settings.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

Upgrade versions are sometimes weird. I've installed Office 97 (an upgrade version, and I no longer use it) and it seemed to think a previous version was already installed, even though none was. Then after awhile (and a reformat) when I was installing it again, it was demanding proof of eligibility for upgrade.

These things are weird.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Hey, that's a pretty slick trick. I wonder if it works with the AMD 64bit corprate version? Image I'll eventually have to get that I bet...
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Any MS product for the most part can just be re-directed to the source for proof of product varification. Win98se asked for a MS product varification, so I just pointed it to itself and it installed fine. Office 2000 does the same thing with no problems, works every time.