XP partition

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

XP partition

Post by woodchip »

So I have a 126 g partition that needs to be formatted. XP is only allowing it to be NTFS if I choose to format it. Now I downloaded the sp1 pac which should enable larger partitions. Even still I should be able to use fat32 up to a 137 g size. I also have a smaller 8g partition that likewise needs to be formatted and xp allows a choice of fat32 or ntfs. So what gives on the 126g partition?
Or should I just run partition magic ver 8?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

no.

win2k and XP won't allow you to format a fat32 partition that large, it maxes out at 32 gb.

You wouldn't a fat32 parition larger than 32gb anyways, you lose way too much in cluster size.

64KB for a 1 byte file is too much.

so, either use smaller partitions for FAT32 drives, or just use NTFS.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

O.K., then...is there going to be a problem running some partitions in ntfs and others in fat 32? Any compatibility issues?

Winxp would only allow me to divide the 160g drive into 4 partitions so I would still be faced with using part.magic to create smaller partitions.

win xp also says to use only ntfs if only one o.s. is on the comp. Since I have 2 hd, one of which has 98se on it, it would seem I'm locked into fat32, smaller partitions and using pm ver8 to create more partitions to do that. Correct?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

IIRC the maximum number of paritions is eight, 4 primary, and 4 extended.

win98 can't read NTFS, but your smart enought to deal with that.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Thanks fliptw.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

You can only have 1 extended partition, flip. You can have an infinite number of logical partitions inside that extended partition (practically on Windows this number is limited to 26 - the number of physical partitions, due to the partition naming structure).